No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 Carnival vases ID = 1. King James Vase; 2. Iris and Herringbone, Jeanette  (Read 4767 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Hi all, (Glen),

These can today, along with some carnival dishes, but I will just post these two for now.

Having seen 1 identical, I thought this one was a 'King James' vase by Rindskopf, but according to Dave Doty's site they only came in 6" & 10" and this one is 8"?

The second one is 9" tall.

Any help, as always, is appreciated  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 01:17:27 PM »
Second one is Iris and Herringbone, Jeannette glass company 1928-1932, re-produced in the 1950s and in the 1970s.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

2 Carnival vases
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 01:20:58 PM »
Your second piece is Jeannette Glass Iris (sometimes called Iris & Herringbone). Glen can confirm but I think the iridescent pieces were made in 1950 & again in 1969.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
Thank you Ivo and Connie,
Guess the second one is unanimous then :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 01:35:44 PM »
Hi Della.

KING JAMES VASE

First, I'll give you the (Carnival) history of the "King James" vase.

The first reported example (6" high) was found by my husband, Steve, on a business trip to Belgium some 8 or so years ago. It was in a fleamarket in a square near the main station in Brussels.  We also found a larger version (10") soon afterwards at an antique fair in the south of England.

We searched all our archives and catalogs for the vase, but could not find the exact pattern. We noted two things:

* the design is similar to Inwald's Jacobean pattern
* a similar block pattern is shown on some items - but NOT vases - in the Rindskopf catalogs that we have

So....we named the vase KING JAMES. We picked the name as it has a link to the name Jacobean - and it is not a variant, so it would have been wrong to call it Jacobean Variant. Thus King James was first documented.

Both of our vases are shown in our second book "A Century of Carnival Glass" (published 2001) on pages 99 and 100. The vase is listed in the main chapter on Czech Carnival. In that chapter is a long section on Josef Rindskopf's Carnival. It is the first time that Rindskopf was documented as a maker of Carnival Glass - and it was a ground breaking discovery.

However, the King James vase is listed in a section called "Possible Rindskopf patterns". We very clearly stated that it was possible but by no means proven, that the maker of this vase is Rindskopf. Our attribution to Rindskopf is cautious and not proven - and we were very clear about this.

So - King James vase, possibly Rindskopf, but may not be. Known until today in two sizes - 6" and 10". Now we can also add your 8" vase Della. Many congratulations on finding another unusual piece.

European Carnival research is very "cutting edge". I always try to be cautious and I have had cause to use an eraser or a corrector pen on many occasions (and I'm sure I will do so on many future occasions too).

HERRINGBONE AND IRIS VASE

aka Iris and Herringbone

Your second piece is a more recent item. Made by Jeanette in the USA it is generally referred to a Depression or Late Carnival. The iridised version was made circa 1950s - 1970s.

Hope this helps, Della.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 01:46:49 PM »
Hi Glen,

Thanks for the information, yet again. I didn't know that you had named the vase, how brilliant. I did look on your site, as I always do, but couldn't find it, so looked on ddoty. (where he doesn't say possibly.....<slapped hands>)

I did to try and buy your book on Czech carnival, but it is sold out. Maybe I should buy the other one.

Oh well, the vase may not have a definite maker, but has a lovely name.
My middle son is called James, so he will be chuffed to bits.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 08:35:36 PM »
Hi Della and Glen,
could your King James be Walther 1950 CUMBERLAND?

http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/vasen/01580.html

:shock:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 08:53:41 PM »
Pamela - do you have a different Cumberland vase to the one I can see? Are there variations? This is the one I can find - it's not my King James.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/CumberlandVase.html

Glen

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 09:19:52 PM »
Glen, no I do not - it is just a 'could be?'
VEB Sachsenglas (Walther) simplified a lot of their Thirties' designs
Main aim was exportation to England to obtain foreign exchange
One of the best examples for this is my green Kolibri vase - which should be/is also Fifties if compared at the base
So I just take it that it 'could be' Cumberland (especially with that name) surviving as a pattern name
all other pattern names of West German Cities were deleted like Hannover f.e.

interesting field in any case! Hopefully D.Mauerhoff joins us Whitsun... and will be of help  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
2 Carnival vases
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 12:04:09 PM »
I think it is important to note that the vase currently known as "King James" is not Walther's "Cumberland" in my opinion.

The Walther Cumberland vase has:
* what appears to be a 10 sided base
* two vertical panels at the bottom of the vase, with a small panel just above the base
* one very long vertical panel (over half the height of the vase) at the top of the vase
* distinct full length vertical, narrow ridge panels separating the "square" panels

The unknown maker King James vase has:
* a 6 sided base
* five "square" block panels, going up the vase (vertical)
* six panels around the vase, horizontally
* no vertical separation between the blocks
* known in three different sizes (approx. 6", 8" and 10") in marigold and light amber

The "King James" vase is currently not attributed to a maker. I wish I knew who made it. I have speculated in the past that Rindskopf may be the maker. Indeed, it is very possible that Walther made it, but I do not yet have a catalog illustration that matches the King James. If anyone does have one, please please let us know.

Of course, it's also possible that an - as yet  - unknown maker produced it. There are many Carnival items that do not have an attribution and may indeed remain so for some time. I'm currently thinking that Poland may well give us the answer to some questions. If in doubt, I feel it is fair to say "Maker unknown - possibly XXX - and almost certainly European".

Glen

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand