No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness? CT and PH marked Genesis ltd edtn of 500.  (Read 3847 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Caithness? CT and PH marked Genesis ltd edtn of 500.
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
Evening all

Picked up this little gem from one of those 2 minutes of picking up all the weights on a stall and turning them over, to find this one marked Genesis 259/500 CT/PH 1974 hand enscribed.  Im assuming its an early caithness?  Dont have my charlton catalogue to hand so can't check, hoped someone could fill me in.....

cheers
Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Caithness? CT and PH marked Genesis ltd edtn of 500.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 07:33:11 PM »

Little gem...hmmm. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I realise...

Anyway, Genesis is indeed early, and was issued in 1973 at £15.00. So based on typical sale value relative to issue price for nondescript bubbly swirly things, I hope it cost you less than £3.00 - otherwise you may be out of pocket.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:38 PM »
bubbly swirly yes, but as its a Colin Terris/Peter Holmes limited edition from 1974, I'd have to rate it rather higher than a moonflower.......

Is your middle name Marvin by any chance?  :P

oh, cost me £17.....

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »

I may change it to Marvin.... I have about 20 relatively low level / simple Caithness weights, and if somebody offered me £20 each they could have the lot! >:D

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 05:52:29 PM »
Just found my charlton catalogue, it books at £325, so even doing the halve it, take a little but more off for a more current price, I'd still have to say it was a pretty good buy for £17.......

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 06:28:12 PM »

I do hope your optimism is well founded...I have over 50 Caithness for sale (most boxed and with certificate), issued at anything from £15 to £225, so I would love to see a resurgence in Caithness prices....

Alan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »
I don't really see what offer price has to do with anything.  The most valuable weight in the charlton catalogue is, I think, a shipwreck weight by Peter Holmes.  Books at £1200, but OIP is a paltry £30.  But a set of four seasons OIP was £250, with me selling one about 2 weeks ago for £897.  I paid £750 odd for my Shipwreck about 18 months ago, so OIP may well of been small, but has pretty much no effect on the price now, or when the charlton catalogue was put together.....

Rather depends which early caithness weights you have for sale.......

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:52:19 AM »
Hi Alan,
Hi Ian,

Ian, you bought your Caithness 'genesis' well at £17. It is a good example and it usually goes for more money than that on the proverbial internet (I have seen prices between ranging from £40 to £80).

Alan, as you know the book price is not really relevant, it is all to do with the specific weight and Genesis is an early and quite popular weight (but not as popular as 'stardust' for example).

Sophie

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »

Hi All

I wonder how the actual price and book price will be related for the Caithness Crown I have just acquired (CT-28). Limited Edition of 100, with the OGJA cane in the base (Oban Glass / Jack Allen). I know it is rare, but the book price is an astonishing £1000....!

Alan

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:00:49 AM »
Mine's listed on ebay at risk of being flamed for advertising!  Interesting to see what it goes for if it sells!

Ian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand