No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early....ish Isle of Wight vase? ID = Raynor, Island Glass or early Alum Bay  (Read 10240 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Early....ish Isle of Wight vase?
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:39:12 AM »
I would have to agree Chris, the vase is very pretty.

I don't know whether they ever used silver chloride at Alum Bay and a snapped off pontil mark would be a new feature for MDG (as far as I can remember). The bluey-grey sort of colour mixed in with the browns may also be a pointer but I know not where.

John

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 10:07:27 AM »
The only reason that I haven't replied on this one is that I have nothing to add to what John has already said.  IMO not IOW or Mdina, unlikely MDG.  You may have to look at a completely different area but as my field is primarily early Mdina and IOWSG I'm not much use in giving any help as to where else to look.

Nice piece (not so keen on the clumpy neck though)

Suzy xxx

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
Thanks for taking a look anyway Suzy your opinion is always appreciated :sun:
See if anything comes from the Alum Bay lead.
Chris

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:04 PM »
Have you checked for a tiny signature; I'm thinking T (Tom) Young

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 11:57:59 AM »
No signature Christine, took some more photos outside in natural light, found white, blue, green and pink amongst the swirls and blobs.
More photos here if anyone wants to have another look.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/UnknownVase#5634352972650961202

Chris

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:15 PM »
It looks even nicer in the new photos Chris. Is it cased in clear (rather than amber)?

It may be worth emailing the IoW and asking, even if that only rules them out definitively, if it was not for that snapped pontil mark....

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:56 PM »
Thanks for sticking with it John, really bugging me this piece I would normally just pass it on to a friend or maybe list it as unknown but with this I just have a gut feeling it's something good and it's got under my skin.
Maybe a member of both  could link it to the IoW board for me? if only to cancel it out?
Would be good to get Mark Hill to take a look and of course a couple of leading lights on here who are not usually slow to offer an opinion are conspicuous by their absence  but I ain't going to beg ;D
Presumed it is clear cased but oddly enough noticed when taking the outdoor photos the pontil mark is clear glass ?

Chris

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
Chris I'm probably going to be proved wrong but I also had an Alum bay pot with the same type curved inwards base, the cracked of pontil mark and the clear see through pontil scar.
I'm going to try and find some pics.

Link here - http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30885.msg167371.html#msg167371
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:02:54 AM »
Just performed the water test Jp told me about years ago how to tell if an item is cased or not and it is definitely cased.
m steering away from Alum Bay, not because I 'want' it to be something else but seen a lot of their stuff and seen nothing similar in style shape or colouring have sent them some photos but reply has yet.
Maybe one of the other companies on Malta or could even be a studio has Christine suggested but again not marked.
What about the colours and shape does that 'shout' out anything? or does everything just hinge on the base, can only speak really on Whitefriars has I have sold and handled thousands of pieces over the years and quite a few of these had a base you would not expect to see purely because they were either trial pieces or were put to one side after being taken  of the pontil rod to be 'stolen' at the end of the and either kept for themselves or sold on in the pub.

Chris :sun:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
Just read this post Ed Iglehart mushroom some similarities maybe?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,39993.0.html

Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand