No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early....ish Isle of Wight vase? ID = Raynor, Island Glass or early Alum Bay  (Read 10254 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Early....ish Isle of Wight vase?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 05:13:35 PM »
Ed Iglehart's wonderful glass is lamp worked, so no, not many similarities...

Here is a nice bit of his work though: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/MiscellaneousGlass#5625830386663914402
The glass is very thin and the vessel is very light in weight (and about 10 or 12cm tall).

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
Hi Chris,

Been observing this thread with interest, although couldn't really add much more to what's already been mentioned. Certainly a great looking vase, and great set of new pictures, which show the detail well.

As already mentioned, the base and rim are concerns for concentrating on IOW, I would tend to lean towards either the piece being a piece of studio glass or Alum glass which has been aforementioned.

I had a look at a few examples of Alum Glass on the web and in terms of the base finish and treatment, Alum does seem the closest at present to yours. I would be very interested to hear what Alum think. Also, as mentioned, whilst contacting IOW, may well draw a blank, they may well be able to suggest another avenue to explore.....

While looking across the web, I came across a recent thread on GMB regarding Alum, whilst the piece in the thread has clear differences, there may be some similarities to yours....(not sure if you have seen this already..?)

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=40900.0

Interesting to hear what you find out, certainly keep hold of the vase for a little longer yet!

Greg
 :)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
Hi Greg, thanks for your comments maybe Alum Bay seems to be the most popular suggestion so far, did eMail them through the website a couple of weeks ago though, I have checked my 'sent mail' box today and can find no record of it being sent? not sure whether to try again or leave it a while and hope they received it.
Not a member of the IoW site so don't know much about it though I did ask kindly if there were any members on here who were and could link this post to their forum for me.
Will hang onto it and let you know about the Alum Bay line if I get a reply.
Chris

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 05:50:54 PM »
Hi Chris,

Just stumbled across this on the web and the IOW forum, appreciate the piece in question is indeed very different, however the kicked up base and broken pontil mark reminded me a little of your piece. Little bit of information from Ron Wheeler and also Sue that I'm sure you will find interesting.

Still would have a few concerns about the rim on yours, although thought that this would prove of interest, if not confusing the search even further!

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/SMF/index.php?topic=345.0

:)

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the link Greg even more confused now ;D had a few of the blue and pink swirly vases over the years with  the flame mark and with a kicked out base and swirly scar so initially puzzled earlier in the thread when this was 'dismissed' has not being IoW for exactly that reason?? only to read in your link that some early pieces had the 'kicked' out base and scar, hoped that someone may have linked it to the IoW board for me which may have thrown up a few more comments :-[
Thanks again Chris :sun:

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 06:05:31 PM »
Decided to get back in touch with Alum Bay Glass yesterday.........
Received a reply this morning from Colin Green.
"Hi Chris, I would say early Alum Bay Glass or even late Island Glass.
I would say it was made by Michael Rayner.
It would have had a loose glass stopper in the top.
I remember making these in the late  eighties, but I think yours is mid seventies"
Kindest regards
Colin

Offline Greg.

• Members
Thanks for the update Chris, pleased you got ID, interesting to hear what Alum Bay Glass had to say.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
 :-X  ;)
That is interesting, so another studio that used silver chloride at that time and a really nice vase, even if the neck is not up to Suzy's standards. :ooh:

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Changed the album title to include the new details so the previous link will not show here is the new link.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/EarlyIsleOfWightAlumBayGlassGlobeVase

Chris :sun:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand