No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Beranek Pulegoso vase  (Read 2640 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Early Beranek Pulegoso vase
« on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:44 PM »
Unusual big and heavy Pulegoso vase, 19 cm high, 15 cm diameter.
(Not completely sure if the technique should really be called Pulegoso with that glossy surface. Doesn't look like cased Pulegoso either, so maybe better to say "bubbly" ;) )
Ground base and circular pontil mark, not polished.

To my surprise not pictured in the 1945-49 pattern books.
Still I have no doubt this is an early Beranek / Skrdlovice piece, and likely designed by Emanuel Beranek.
Maybe even from the pre pattern book era, between 1940-1945?

In the Pardubice exhibition was a similarly shaped bowl, made in the same technique and colours >> Link

Thanks for looking,
Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
Re: Early Beranek Pulegoso vase
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:00:02 AM »
Hi Michael.

Nice piece. A version of this vase appears in a couple of my photos of the 2014 Skrdlovice exhibition.https://plus.google.com/photos/117446104507314914818/albums/5999995128965183489?banner=pwa&authkey=CPLv6rjNv4KIWQ. Mark Hill helpfully found and organised the venue and I (mostly) arranged and selected the contents. It was held in one of the NEC exhibition halls in Birmingham, England, to help promote the book on Skrdlovice that I co-wrote with Jindrich Parik and Mark kindly edited. (I know you already know some of this info but others may not!) My example is more traditional in finish, much like ordinary pulegoso style antique Skrdlovice typical of early Beranek output. I linked the vase to 4713 in the patterns, which although is not an exact form match, is a terrible drawing and does have the distinctive clipped petals.
Your match to the decor at the example in Pardubice is a good one too for the decor. I am sure all are early Beranek pieces. The vase is heavy, I think my one is 2.5 KG or something....

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 07:33:39 AM »
Thank you very much, Robert -- I was hoping that you would comment! :)

I searched for this vase in all my resources (your book being one of the first I looked into of course), but didn't think of the exhibition pics.
Definately the same pattern, very nice in white Pulegoso, too!

I am not totally convinced of the PN 4713 attribution: the "petals" don't seem to be connected to the body of the vase like in our pieces, overall shape is very different, while (in my limited experience) the drawings for these early pieces are quite accurate.
But for a lack of a better match...

What about my theory of these being pre 1945 production? (Would the colours and the base finish support that / rule that out?)

Michael

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:42:33 PM »
Hi Michael, thank you. I will try to leave the exhibition pictures up there for a while. They are not marvellous but serve as an indicator of the show. This vase is there, as you also note!! It is in basically a traditional white pulegoso but with quite a blue cast. The colours certainly varied slightly...... Your finish is not common at all. I wonder if the unusual base finish is a result of the glassy casing used? I am not at all sure about any pre 1945 production. I think the pieces dislayed as pre 1945 are the really basic pieces, that are never seen-identified in normal auctions. I have never seen any for sale. But, these pieces that Emanuel made using glass paste apparently, I doubt lasted being made 1942-1945, because they are so rare. I have seen evidence that the design for the Veliskova bag vase listed as a 1945 design in the Skrdlovice pattern books, was produced before that by CMS. The start of the Skrdlovice pattern books seems very sudden and I wonder if some of these patterns were already in production prior to 1945. It is a difficult area to be certain about. The fact the piece in this thread is huge, much larger than most 1945-1950 production, would suggest it came from post 45, assuming the factory made larger pieces more often as the factory grew.......... Nice to see a few larger pieces being found, there are bound to be a few more. Most are very small, as I am sure these were easier to make and move and the tight budgets of most customers also suited the smaller things in the post war period. The pre 1950 display by the Kusaks of Seattle in the book, show no large early Beranek items either... presumably for some or all of these reasons.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
Thanks again, Robert -- great info!

What made me consider early production, were: the fact that the shape is not found in the pattern books; the rather "crude" application of colours, and the rough base (quite different to the nicely finished pieces Craig showed >> here and >> here).

In the Pardubice exhibition were two displays labeled "Emanuel Beranek 1940-45", showing a lot of similar pieces, but I don't know if that labeling was correct...

Anyway, now knowing about your classic white Pulegoso example, normal production after 1945 seems likely.

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 06:00:43 PM »
Fantastic piece, Michael. 

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
Thanks Anik! :)

I have yet another piece from that period (even more fantastic ;D ) to show -- have to take pics...

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 02:38:15 PM »
Great example Michael. Would it be OK with you if I copied your images to add to my page on early Beranek Pulegoso on my website.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »
Hi Craig, please do you use any of my pics for your fabulous website! :)

Michael

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 04:20:10 PM »
Thank you Michael. I guess that means I will pull the Krasno lamp also....  :-)

Thanks again! 
Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand