No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: My first Exbor fish...  (Read 12826 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
My first Exbor fish...
« on: July 21, 2011, 04:22:13 PM »
I was lucky last weekend and found my first Exbor fish :chky:
(Once again unmarked)

Life has not been very kind to this guy, as he is missing major parts of his back fins I guess -- but they have been quite nicely repaired (and I like the idea that some former owner cared so much for this piece of glass). I am still extremely happy and think he is a beauty nevertheless! :)

Here are the promised pics...

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: My first Exbor fish...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 04:34:27 PM »
Oh Michael, he's absolutely, positively beautiful!  I love the colours, and everything about it... Such a lucky man!  And I do hope you will find a second, and a third, and then post them as they come along.

FANTASTIC!!!  :rah: :rah: :rah:

Edited to add:  Even my husband who despises 99% of the glass I show him says that your fish is a true beauty. ;D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »
and it looks like he's missing his back fins too, but he's still a very nice fish indeed!   :hiclp:
I am not a man

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »
Thanks a lot for the nice comments!

I really do not mind much that the back fins are missing -- the rest of him is still beautiful...
I guess he was some sort of swordtail once, now he looks more like a carp :)

Funny thing is that I am not able to find Exbor pieces with the proper acid stamp; this is my 5th piece so far, 3 are unmarked, 1 has a Borocrystal mark, and 1 is marked "II" (so a second I guess).

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:31:42 AM »
Does the 'II' on Exbor pieces really imply a second?

Back in April, there was a P. Hlava blue, yellow and clear cased vase (much like on page 115 of Hi Sklo) on offer on Allegro (as Murano) with a starting price of 150PLN.  It had a II at the bottom which confused me.  From what I could see, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the vase.  The piece went unsold.

Oh and Michael, even with the damage (which, honestly, I don't necessarily see), your fish is fabulous.
And I am jealous. ;D

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 03:50:44 PM »
I have seen Exbor stamped Stanislav Honzik fish at Solihull fair.
Unfortunately Exbor fishes were produced for many years also recently - see catalogue from 2009

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/EgermannSRO2009Figures?authkey=Gv1sRgCMTE27Hrl5S2OQ#

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »
Well, I'd even be perfectly happy with a fish from recent production...  They're beautiful, newer or older. ;D

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:25:17 PM »
Thanks, Anik and Jindrich!

Like Anik, I do not really mind if it is newer or older production - I think they are all great! :)
And impossible to find out anyway...

But my fish doesn't appear in the 2009 catalogue Jindrich kindly provided, so at least older than that.

BTW, this is very odd: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,17384.0.html

Michael

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
Michael, there is a fish similar enough to yours in the the 1965/12 CGR: http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/Glasrevue196512?authkey=Gv1sRgCOnBr_SphIi3hwE#5443269031071868082

As for the fish in the other link, I would have never thought 'Exbor'...  I wouldn't even have thought 'Czech'.  
Is it really Exbor???

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
Thanks for the link, Anik!
There is a very similar one in the 1969 Exbor catalogue on Jindrich's site (with almost the same colours as in mine): http://picasaweb.google.com/Jindra8526/EXBOR1969?authkey=Gv1sRgCLLirYHLk7vLCQ#5434393024940890002

Regarding the link to the strange fish I posted above: I would think there has to be a mistake, as the last thing that one resembles is an Exbor fish :usd:

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand