No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Example from The Manchester Glass Bottle Works  (Read 2666 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Example from The Manchester Glass Bottle Works
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:10:08 PM »
Here's a nice little find bought from eBay USA. This is from the Manchester Glass Bottle Works and marked "Woolfall Manchester" on the base. The Works was started circa 1833 by three men from Warrington, Thomas Percival (whose son ran Percival & Vickers), John Woolfall and William Jackson. Jackson left the business in 1840 and Percival died in 1850, after which John Woolfall carried on business for about 20 years, dating this bottle between 1850 and 1870. It is a 3 piece mould and the colour of the glass is very dark, virtually impenetrable towards the base. You can see a massive air bubble in the glass. I haven't seen any other pieces attributed to this bottle works.

I was a bit surprised that a bottle this early is marked but I am rather out of my depth with bottle glass. Does anyone know when bottles started to be stamped with the maker's name? 1860s, which this likely is, is quite early I would have thought. I would also be interested if anyone knew what it added to the glass to make it such a dark colour...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Example from The Manchester Glass Bottle Works
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
Neil, what a super bottle! Have you seen this topic elsewhere about Woolfall bottles? It might help a bit more (if only for the contacts - one of whom is a Woolfall!) http://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/Woolfall/m-44310/tm.htm
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Example from The Manchester Glass Bottle Works
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:44:15 AM »
Wow, thanks Anne that was very helpfull. I see on that thread there is a "Percival Woolfall" bottle so they must have been adding the name to the base pre 1850. And one of them turned up in a shipwreck in Indonesia!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand