No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures  (Read 9684 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 07:34:20 AM »
Thanks for posting the pics.  Actually that's how I would expect it to look if it didn't have any uranium.  Maybe it just has something else such as manganese causing a bit of a green glow, that doesn't show up on camera?

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
Finally spotted another one of these with a label [here].  Not labelled Davidson though, but ICET of Venezuela.  More info on ICET [here].

So, if these are the same make, then there must be some link between Davidson and ICET, or probably more likely, the Davidson label doesn't belong after all.

There sure does seem to be a lot of these around in the UK though.  :huh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 11:49:03 AM »
There are loads of them about!! Maybe it was a marketing arrangement. The Davidson label doesn't actually say Made in England

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
The Davidson label doesn't actually say Made in England

That's a very good point!  Also the ICET label says Murano as well as Venezuela, so we could have Murano glass, made in Venezuela, sold by a British manufacturer!!

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2011, 08:07:07 PM »
The seller has kindly given permission for the pictures to be posted here for reference:

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2021, 05:01:31 PM »
It's been a while since this discussion, and I've been baffled by these sculptures ever since. However I just came across [this] old post on Collectors Weekly, where a Spanish company called Viartec THF is mentioned. After some googling, I found a few examples, with labels that read "Viartec Hand Made in Spain":

[Example 1]
[Example 2]
[Example 3]
[Example 4]

The label can be seen best in the last one. I also found [this] listing, no ID or label, but the seller claims to have brought it back from Spain in the 1970's. If these were sold in Spanish tourist shops in the 70s, it would explain why there are so many of them here in the UK!

This doesn't explain the Davidson label or the Icet label of course, so there is still a bit of a mystery!

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 09:41:27 AM »
Labels can be transferred, even innocently....

Finding several from this range with the same label though is a different matter, especially as you have found corroboration in various countries. Deserves a round of applause!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand