No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures  (Read 9685 times)

Offline keith

• Members
Re: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 08:01:02 PM »
No chamfering whatsoever,can you say chamfering? ::) ;D ;D

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:09:42 PM »
This one I'm pretty confident is Murano, as I've seen it's very close relative labelled, but look at the similarities http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=492 The major difference is the clear layer

Yeah I've seen those with Murano labels, even with coloured casing instead of clear I think.

Also seen these with Murano labels, which are VERY similar to some Canadian Altaglass designs:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2011, 09:35:51 AM »
No wonder it's a minefield, even for the wary!

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 01:54:07 PM »
Sorry, Anne, I can't help here re the label.   When I was at Davidsons I had absolutely nothing to do with the sales or warehousing of the domestic (as against technical) products therefore labels were a closed book to me.  That contrasts with Sowerbys where I was involved with practically everything!

Re the glass, Nazeing comes immediately to mind.  Just before I left Davidsons, Nazeing acquired, rather indirectly, a strong influence there.  Nazeing products, testing Davidsons market,  perhaps???

Adam D.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:19:14 PM »
Thanks Adam, that's an interesting thought... so perhaps Nigel or Stephen P-H may be able to add more... this is becoming a paperchase! :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

bfg

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Hi

Came across this discussion whilst researching a lovely lump of glass I recently acquired. The red glass glows orange under UV light which had me puzzled at first but I now know thats the Selenium  :hiclp: and the yellow glows green - as I had hoped, hence the UV treatment! so, is it Davidson? did they use Uranium in their glass? or is it something else.

Please bear with me on photos its my first attempt at uploading here  :-[

Thanks for any imput

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:53 PM »
Looks like it's one of the gang to me.  ;)  I don't think I've seen one of these in a selenium/uranium combo before, but I've seen others with uranium + no selenium, so it wouldn't surprise me.  Any chance of a pic of it under UV?

bfg

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »
ooh, thanks for the input Wayne, my glass is in a gang! lol. I'll give it a go with the UV - see what I can do

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 04:26:05 PM »
Quote from: Wayne
I don't think I've seen one of these in a selenium/uranium combo before
I have two pieces in this style, both the 3-pronged affairs in two different sizes. Sadly, the large one later became a 2-pronged affair... but it did have stress marks in the glass so I wasn't surprised when it fell apart.

But I am quite staggered to see that Davidson was involved with these. Just playing Devil's Advocate for a while:
  • Could the label have been transferred across from another piece of glass?
  • Could Davidson have imported these, or perhaps another English company produced for Davidson who then labelled them? Nazeing perhaps?

However, Chris' site does state (although probably unrelated):
Quote from: CloudGlass.com
In 1966 the first adverts for Blown Lead Crystal glassware appear. In an age of mass production, Davidson started to advertise the fact that their products were hand finished, stressing that hand moulding and freehand styling of glassware was a reason to buy Davidson glass.

Just thinking out aloud, as it seems so unlike the type of glass that it is known for. Perhaps a last throw of the dice? The company did free-form a few items of pressed glass, but these items involve techniques quite alien to its normal production items.

Like everyone else, I would love to find out their origins!
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 04:46:02 PM »
When you look there's a surprising number of this "gang" about. Has anyone poked Stephen P-H or Chris Stewart?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand