No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures  (Read 9683 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: For Reference - Davidson Glass Sculptures
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 04:56:33 PM »
Hiya David, long time no speak!

Could the label have been transferred across from another piece of glass?

That did occur to me actually, although I can't see it really raising the value much to be worth the effort, and you'd think they would put it on something a bit more Davidson-ish!  Also the label seems to have quite a bit of wear from being on the base a while.  I guess there's no way to know for sure until we find another one though.

Could Davidson have imported these, or perhaps another English company produced for Davidson who then labelled them? Nazeing perhaps?

Adam suggested something similar, could well be a possibility.

Also, there are quite a lot of these around, so it's surprising there aren't more with labels.  :huh:

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »

When you look there's a surprising number of this "gang" about. Has anyone poked Stephen P-H or Chris Stewart?

Yes, I mailed Chris after I replied to this topic. I have some others that are in the "don't know" category, so will post these later. These three have opaque coloured glass inners, with a transparent casing. Look quite different, but the same styling is used.

Hi Wayne, still about as you can see! Yes I see Adam's post now... (d'oh)  :hb1:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »
Are they like this by any chance?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »
Very similar:
Red and pink with clear casing
White with amethyst casing
White with Amber casing

The bases are ground so that the different casings show through. They all appear to be double-cased as well.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
I wonder if there could be a link between Davidson, and Altaglass of Canada?

Altaglass made some very similar items to these sculptures, in similar colours, such as the red/amber selenium:

http://altaglass.ca/index.php?set_albumName=bowls&id=pmb218&option=com_gallery&Itemid=30&include=view_photo.php

And speckled:

http://altaglass.ca/index.php?set_albumName=bowls&id=pmb74&option=com_gallery&Itemid=30&include=view_photo.php

None of the shapes I've seen in the UK appear on the Altaglass website though.  I wonder if Davidson copied them or had some kind of deal with them.

Also, an interesting link here between Altaglass and Nazeing:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,834.msg48458.html#msg48458

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:04 PM »
I always think that the Altaglass freeform items are much 'whackier' than the items normally found in the UK. I also think that because of the shape and size of most of these freeform items, they would have been a nightmare to ship from abroad (certainly not in a suitcase!) and the reason why being British-made does make some sense. But, conversely, I've never seen mention of these things in Pottery Gazettes or Pottery & Glass trade journals, and I've scoured virtually every issue (also have a few copies) from the late 1930s right up to 1981.
Of course, it is possible they were the output of a smaller concern, who just bashed them out for a few years and were not concerned about offering them through the trade. But why the Davidson label? I think until Chris Stewart reads this topic we are thrashing about in the dark a little.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 02:39:20 PM »
I see from McConnell's 20th Century Glass that he identifies the amber/red Selenium models on p.77 as "... could have been made in Sweden, Czechoslovakia or the United States."
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
Darn, that's one of the few books that I don't have.  I wonder why he didn't mention Italy or Canada, they were the two I had down as most likely...British being the least!

bfg

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 03:43:24 PM »
phew, well after 2 weeks and the purchase of a hefty 24" UV flurescent tube I finally got a pic or two not brilliant but you can see the orange glow, also the orange was so vivid it all but blocked out the green uranium to the eye! :-\

bfg

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:17 PM »
note to self: *spell check* sorry :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand