No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: VB OPALINE FLORENCE MADE IN ITALY  (Read 15306 times)

Offline eggar

• Members
VB OPALINE FLORENCE MADE IN ITALY
« on: March 14, 2004, 12:45:01 PM »
i'm trying to identify an opaline cased glass vase with the label ..VB OPALINE  FLORENCE  MADE IN ITALY any help most welcome...thanks  eric

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2004, 05:33:31 PM »
I Vetrai di Borgonovo, I would think

Offline eggar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2004, 08:23:53 PM »
thanks Ivo, now to see if i can find out anything about them..eric

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: VB OPALINE FLORENCE MADE IN ITALY
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
I know this thread is a bit ancient now, but it seemed the best place to post an update, as it's the top result for "Opaline Florence":

A while ago, I emailed the Vetreria Di Borgonovo website, sent them a link to my website showing lots of "V.B. Opaline Florence" items, and asked if they made them.  It seems they didn't, this was their response:

"This is hand made and most probably it has been manufactured somewhere in Empoli area.
Empoli is a province in Tuscany - Italy
Regards and good luck

Vetreria di Borgonovo SpA"

(The company is based in Borgonovo, not Empoli, although it's not a million miles away).

Since then, I've recently come across a couple of items with labels which read "Veritable Opaline Florence", so I'm assuming the V.B. is just short for "Veritable"?  See pics below.

It looks like Veritable Opaline Florence is just the style or range of glass, so the jury is still out on who made these.  My best guess would be Stelvia, who made similar glass and have similar labels.  Would love to know what others think, or if any new info has since been found?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 11:32:27 AM »
I think we've been over this before.  Empoli was the home of some two dozen glass makers which have merged and changed names, merged and changed names, and again and again ad inf.
Most companies moved out of Empoli to elsewhere in the region - notably to Poggibonsi and to Colle Val d'Elsa - and the chance of finding individual companies is pretty slim. Most were short lived between mergers.
Labels may be specifically made for importers and for retailers - hence the use of French.
Bravo if you manage to unravel this knotto gordiano.

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
HI

You are right Wayne.  Opaline is just the name of the range as I have a hand painted Amethyst baluster vase from Florence with the lable "OPALINA FIORENTIA"

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
 :huh2:

Not much fun trying to confuse labels in italian, french and english. You should know that VĂ©ritable is french for real, Florence is in english or french what Firenze is in italian. Empoli is in the Firenze province.
Opalina is - only in Italy - colour cased milk glass, while Opaline is (everywhere else) a solid semi translucent colour - so if you are selling "vĂ©ritable opaline de Florence" in France, you're  not selling opaline but cased milk glass. There's confusion for you.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »
They don't make it easy for us do they?  I know the wording on the labels isn't very helpful in identifying a maker, as similar wording is used on Italian, French, and even Japanese glass, probably because it was what the importers + retailers wanted at the time, like you say Ivo.

The main reason for posting, is that up to now, we've thought that the VB were probably the initials of the manufacturer, but looking at how similar the first two labels are, it must at least be possible that the VB was short for Veritable?  I know there's no concrete evidence, and probably never will be, but there are a lot of these vases around, maybe somebody somewhere has one with a proper manufacturers label.  Hopefully they will see this thread and help us out!  :X:

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »
Which would raise the question veritable what? in french it makes no sense @ all. VB has to be the name of a retailer, an importer or a manufacturer. As Borgonovo has left the building, it is probably one of the many others who have existed.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »
OK, going back to the drawing board, and looking for more clues, I came across this Empoli jar, with a label in the exact same shape and style as the first two labels I posted, but it reads "Hand, AV, Made in Italy":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/art-of-glass/5244367791/in/photostream/

There is also a vase on ebay at the moment with the same label:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MULTI-COLOR-MID-CENTURY-MODERN-MURANO-ITALY-VASE-LABEL-/380303997782

Ivo, I don't suppose there is an Empoli company with the initials VB, that later changed its name to have the initials AV, or vice versa?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand