No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: CAITHNESS GLASS STUDIO IVY VASE  (Read 2593 times)

Offline gordon

• Members
CAITHNESS GLASS STUDIO IVY VASE
« on: July 25, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
Hello
I have a caithness glass studio ivy vase in its original box by Helen Macdonald
it is no.4 of only 15 made.
It was given as a wedding present, but has never been displayed.
Can anyone give me an indication of value for this vase & where to sell.
Thanks in advance.
Gordon. 

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: CAITHNESS GLASS STUDIO IVY VASE
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Hi Gordon - lucky you!
I just looked it up on the Scotlands Glass website but unfortunately the original price is not shown there. It looks a stunning vase though - if you sell it online I could be interested in bidding (unless it is worth megabucks) . (I'm in Australia, but collect higher end Caithness glass)

I have also checked a recent book by Mark Hill on Caithness Glass and can find no mention of it There is a page on Studio glass from around 2000 but the Ivy vase according to Scotlands Glass was made approx 1993.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?page=shop.product_details&category_id=28&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1193&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=6 (If a mod can shorten this link please do - I don't know how)

Would you post a photograph of yours please? I may never own one but I can enjoy looking!
regards and good luck

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline gordon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Hi JAK
Many thanks for the information, i have checked the link for Scotlands glass & can see the exact same vase, but as you mentioned no price.
I will attempt to post a couple of photos once i find out how, as i only registered with the site this morning, i am only around 30 miles from the site of the Caithness factory in Perth Scotland.
Will try & list photos today.
All the best, Gordon.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:55:23 PM »
Much too young both as a piece and for the collecting market. So I would not expect a high price, best to just pop it on eBay with a not too high starting price or try and sell privately - you can also offer it in the boards market place forum asking for offers.

Helen MacDonald is a great designer and engraver, amongst the very best of Caithness people.

Offline gordon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 10:19:45 AM »
Hi Frank.
Thanks for your information.
I know now that the original selling price of this vase by caithness glass was £350.
The vase has now been listed on Ebay with a reasonable reserve.
I know this is not exactly an antique piece, but must be a collectors item that can only appreciate in value as such a limited number were made, not to mention that it is a stunning display piece.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:36 PM »
Thanks for the price info, I will add it to the listing. One day these will become highly desirable. 350 represents the sheer amount of work that went into it. The size of the edition, how few people can afford to purchase such artworks. It really is amongst the best glasswork produced by Caithness and I hope you get a price that reflects this. :X:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
Did very well, perhaps unfortunate not to reach the original retail but a piece of Caithness that will in time becoming very much sought after!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand