No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small frosted bare trees vase signed AG - ID = Arnie Gautsch of Lismore, NSW  (Read 2013 times)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
I recently bought this small vase as I loved its decoration

It is frosted about 25% of the way up, has one bare tree trunk (including roots)  rising from the frosting  and wrapping branches the whole way around the rim.

It is 6 inches or 15 cm tall, hexagonal in shape (6 sides)  base is clear not frosted.  I don't know enough to tell if it is acid etched or sandblasted - the frosted area is cut away though if that helps at all?

Has an etched signature AG just above the frosted section. 

I was hoping  :X: that as Alistair Gordon (ex Caithness engraver)  lives and works not too far from me that it was perhaps one of his pieces? Have checked his fabulous website but cannot find a signature to compare. It doesn't compare with his current work but could it be early? He's been here since the late 1970's I believe. 
Any information would be welcomed

Thanks

Jackie
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: query artist - small frosted bare trees vase signed AG
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
Not Strathearn and not his signature... next?

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 12:22:07 AM »
Thanks Frank.
It is still a really pretty vase - the details on the etching is far better than it looks in my photos.

Oh well - another mystery piece

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 04:19:11 AM »
No mystery, and not Alasdair Gordon (note the spelling). That piece is wheel engraved and sand blasted by Arnie Gautsch of Lismore, NSW. See below for another example of his work, found in an 'antiques' shop locally in Lismore. The image is the Australian platypus (Ornithorhynchus anatinus). The signature on this item, shown in the second photo, is the same monogram AG seen on the query item.

His work is found in several galleries, including the family business. The other two photos show a different version of his signature and a gallery sticker, both taken from a larger item.

For blanks, mostly he uses commercial European production items from such as IVV and Krosno.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand