No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early Whitefriars amber bubble dump/doorstop ? ID = Not a known Whitefriars  (Read 7501 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
So, are we all happy to say that Mike's dump weight is NOT Whitefriars?
If so, I will change the title once more.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Personally I feel it would be nice if an open mind could be kept on this one.

I've added a shot of the dump with a Golden Amber example of a paperweight. Clearly the dump is not Golden Amber  :o

The Golden Amber paperweight shows lots of wear (see last photo). If this was caused by using the weight on an oak desk then imagine what it would look like if used on a stone floor.

There is little catalogue information for the 1920's with Whitefriars Glass, also on page 228 of 'Whitefriars Glass' by Wendy Evans, Ross & Werner  it states ' The 1928 stock lists and workbook together show the following basic colours'....'Amber , Light Amber'  . Then the book on the next page indicates the colours recorded in the ' c1931 catalogue sheets are '....Golden Amber' with no mention of either Amber or Light Amber.

As I said above with the unpolished pontil scar , this could have been the norm with dumps of that period ; but I entirely agree it is highly unlikely for Whitefriars not to have polished the pontil , it is smooth though, so could have been heat polished.

Anyway , I've stated my case and I hope you can see my somewhat obtuse views on the matter   :ow:

Thanks again for all the feedback and help. Ta Mike.
Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
What Ho! Im in agreement with Emmi that the colour is not right for a catalogued colour. They did have a very early brown amber, 1900ish but they weren't churning out PW's then.

Count the bubbles around and see if there is the same amount as the known WF ones you have.
I must admit the controlled bubbles and the big bubble look WFish.

The base has been cracked off and doesn't have a ground pontil (which all WF PW's have) to me that says frigger.
And as for the colour it looks rather like Whitefriars Lighting Amber which was used in the 60's (for lamp shades which were blown into wire frames) and friggers are found in this colour.

I think possibly it could be, so if WF I would say Lighting Amber frigger, mid 60's.
I could be off the mark here but think that this is most likely if it is Whitefriars. Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
I think you may have this one wrong Mr Wolf . :usd:

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
There is a chance John  ;D but it is a possibility especially if the bubble count is right

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Thanks Wolfie ,

Here is Stan's link to lighting amber.

http://www.whitefriars.com/bb_orig/viewtopic.php?t=2995

Was 'lighting amber' made from lead crystal ?   

I find colour ID's so,so difficult especally when thinly blown . Not at all certain about the colour of the dump and lighting amber !

The count sadly doesn't tie in with the paperweights . All the paperweights have 15 lines of bubbles each with 11 bubbles per line. The dump is made up of an inner set of bubbles 20 lines with six bubbles per line . The height of the inner set to 4.5 cm from the base. The outer set of bubbles also has 20 lines with 12 bubbles per line (double the inner number). 

It is the general look of the bubbles in the dump when seen with the WFs paperweights that just shouts WFs to me. Its difficult taking photos as the ones at the back are magnified and it all looks like a random mess but the general pattern and sizes all look the same.

Well, the colour is the key  ::)

Ta, Mike 
Mike

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
What Ho! Lighting amber looks nothing like that when its thick, unfortunately I dont have any pics. Lighting amber is soda.
Im not liking the wrong bubble count though, although WF had different bubble moulds for pw's, ducks, vases etc

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Ta Wolfie,

The dump is lead (far too heavy) so that rules that one out  :cry:

It's not looking good for WF :thud: but I will keep it as part of my bubbly collection , perhaps another example of this dump might pop up here on the GMB which would be great to see !

It has been a real joy for me to talk about it here.

Ta Mike.

Mike

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
I believe i saw a lamp in lighting pink on ebay this week , one of those blown into a black wire cage .

Offline Baked_Beans

• Members
Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand