No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orrefors vase- number help please  (Read 2970 times)

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
Orrefors vase- number help please
« on: July 26, 2011, 05:44:25 AM »
 :ooh:Height of 20.5cm and base 4cm, pale blue.   The lettering is a little indecisive for the first letter- could be L or S, I am going with L for Lindstrand hand formed vase (LU). but the numbers have me foxed- 2278-what year would this be? As usual any and all comments are welcome. Still cold but my day has been sunny and clear blue skies.
Regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline kisslikeether

• Members
    • 20th Century Scandianvian
Re: Orrefors vase- number help please
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 06:55:18 AM »
Wow what a great vase!

2278 indicates year of 1940 & your L looks more like an S to me which would be John Selbing  :thup:

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »
Kisslikeether- I did have a quandary about the L it is, I feel, a loopy L similar to a couple of Lindstrand items I have but willing to be led down a different path- I will see what I can find on John Selbing, also I had tentatively thought 1955 or there abouts. 1940 is good!
Many thanks Carol
Carolglass

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 06:34:22 AM »
I think this is LU 2248, which is a Lindstrand decanter, which has a flattened extended lip (I'm sure there's a word for it that's escaping me at the moment) at the top and a stopper. I'd guess this is one that was broken and had the top removed and the rim reground.  Designed in 1940 and still a nice piece.

David

My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
Good morning

John Selbing was the on-staff Orrefors photographer who created images for Gate, Hald, Öhrström, Lindstrand
and other desigers. He resided in the Orrefors community with his family.

I had the good fortune to meet his wife and son who shared with us many photographs from their time at the glass works. His wife has written and published a very limited edition book about John.

He designed his own set of art forms in crystal. They are quite elegant, have an very nice flow and represent fine works of art in glass.

Bill Geary

Offline carolglass

• Members
    • Napier New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »
Bill G in my internet wanderings I found a lot of vary beautiful photographs and most of the images he had a hand in designing were beautifully engraved minimalist vases etc so I feel that John Sebling might not be the path to wander down.

David- I did have a feeling about the lip, the bevel on the out side seemed a bit too deep but it was just a fleeting thought. Many thanks for all the very informative replies- I really will have to get a book on Orrefors someday!!  :t:
Time for bed. regards Carol
Carolglass

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:17:35 PM »
A quick note

I was only telling information about John Selbing because there was a question about
him and his role with Orrefors.

Many others with an interest in Orrefors might not have been aware of his role as a documentarian of the fantastic art glass from this important Swedish glass works.

Bill Geary

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:10:38 AM »
The U stands for "Uncut" ie. smooth glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
Ruding in the big Orrefors book defines "U" as "Blown glass worked in the blowing room." 

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:09 AM »
Although I do not have a positive opinion about Ulrika Ruding, I must say her contribution of the Signatures, techniques and designers section to the book "Orrefors  A Century of Swedish Glassmaking" is outstanding and provides a great reference for signatures from this outstanding glassworks.

I am sure the translation of the Swedish to English for U  "Blown glass worked in the blowing room". lost some meaning
in translation.

Not to be too sensitive, but every piece of glass is worked in the blowing room by tools or wet newspaper or molds going from blow pipe to puntil. Cold working is not done at Orrefors in the blowing room but in a separate part of the building where engravers and cutters work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand