No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Trying to ID paperweight. ID = Paul Ysart Star Pattern  (Read 7178 times)

Offline seeker

• Members
Trying to ID paperweight. ID = Paul Ysart Star Pattern
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:10:31 AM »
I have a paperweight and looking through some web sites and here last night, I am wondering who the maker may be.

The paperweight is similar to one by Paul Ysart, but whether it is or by someone else I do not know

The pontil is rough

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Trying to ID paperweight
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
Hi, welcome to the Board.

Yes. Paul Ysart. Looks to be typical 1930s work. Nice weight. Star patterns are less common than many of the other millefiori patterns.

What size is it?

If you ever feel like donating it to a "deserving collection", my other Paul Ysart items would be pleased to meet it. 8)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline casalibre

• Members
Re: Trying to ID paperweight. ID = Paul Ysart Star Pattern
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
In my opinion it looks like Paul Ysart and it is Paul Ysart.
But lets wait, what the masters are saying.

Offline seeker

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
Thank you both for your replies.

Kevin the measurements are 2 5/8" approx diameter x 2" tall approx

Glad to know it seems to be a Paul Ysart and my suspicions last night were correct.

Best regards

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 01:13:35 PM »
I have two Star pattern weights by Paul Ysart which are signed with a "py" cane. They are shown in my web pages at ... One example 2 3/8 inch diameter and the other example 2 3/4 inch diameter

And two others, unsigned, and approx 3 inch diameter, are shown in my general catalogue "Star & Roundel" section.
KevinH

Offline seeker

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:20:47 PM »
Just out of interest Kevin, how big or small are the "py" canes? Are they visible with the naked eye?

I saw your Star pattern paperweights last night, you have a good collection and a good site, it put me on the track of this paperweight possibly being a Paul Ysart.

Many thanks again for the reply and information.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
For actual size of "py" signature canes, see the first image in this page on my site.

Although a signature cane inserted in a weight will usually show as slightly larger than the actual size, this is not always the case. For example, if you look at my image of the 2 3/4 inch star weight linked earlier, and enlarge the browser window a few times you will eventually find that it is quite easy to see the "py" cane. But try it with the other star weight - can you find the cane?
KevinH

Offline seeker

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 03:08:30 PM »
For actual size of "py" signature canes, see the first image in this page on my site.

Although a signature cane inserted in a weight will usually show as slightly larger than the actual size, this is not always the case. For example, if you look at my image of the 2 3/4 inch star weight linked earlier, and enlarge the browser window a few times you will eventually find that it is quite easy to see the "py" cane. But try it with the other star weight - can you find the cane?

I found the first "py" cane quite easily, the 2nd, I could not find the cane.

So the "py" signature would not be on the edge of a very small cane and very hard to see?

Thank you again Kevin you have been most helpful.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »
It depends what you mean by "the edge of a cane". Assuming you are thinking there might be a "py" cane in your star weight, could you say where it is in the main photo you gave earlier.

In my hard-to-find example the signature cane is tucked in amongst the other canes, along the join between the two points of the star which meet at the 10 o'clock position in the photo. It is a separate cane that can just be seen under high enlargement as a small white area with a bit of darker colour inside the white.

KevinH

Offline seeker

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 03:56:55 PM »
I can see something, but it is probably just my imagination.

It is not a cane on its own, but there is something on the edge of one small cane that looks like letters!

As for where it is on the main photo posted above, the (roundel?) canes around the edge of the weight, there is the pink outer canes, then the inner canes, look yellow with a green centre, there is something that resembles letters on the edge of one of those small canes, but it is probably just my imagination! I have tried to photograph it, but it is so tiny my camera (even on macro) cannot get a close up!

BTW I forgot to say thank you for the welcome to the forum earlier.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand