No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Barbini? bowl  (Read 2260 times)

Offline poppyparker

• Members
Barbini? bowl
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:14:35 AM »
Hi all

I have this large and lovely ashtray in amber with a green centre.  I think from looking on the web that it's a Barbini Murano but could anyone confirm that?  Also it has a bit of what I suppose would be "soot" on one side and I wonder that they let it out of the factory like that!  I think you can just make it out in the picture of the top.  Someone has stuck felt on the bottom so that's still there as I can't get it all off but the base is completely flat.

Dimensions are:20cm across the top at the longest point and 5.5cm from base to top.

Many many thanks.

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Re: Barbini? bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 06:43:21 AM »
Don't think it's Barbini, in fact it reminds me a bit of these, can't say for sure though:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41976.new.html

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 04:09:45 PM »
Thanks Wayne  :hi:

I was going with Barbini because after Googling, the images bring up a sommerso pear with the same colours and there are lots of ashtrays in different colourways but with the same shape. 

The long squiggly things are interesting though and it would be great to have some more British glass in my collection (especially Davidson, as I used to work in Gateshead) but I live in San Francisco and it's more likely that people went on their holidays to Italy and bought souvenirs from there which are know turning up at charity shops here.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:20 AM »
I see the piece as Murano.  There's lots of "Barbini" on the Internet, but you have to take such attributions with a few pounds of salt. The colours are typical of Murano and the style is not that unusual so the reality is that it could have been made by a number of Murano factories. I like the piece, but I just don't think a specific attribution is possible.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
Thanks David  - I know what you mean - and to all of you here  :sun:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum