No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness JA weight  (Read 3943 times)

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
Caithness JA weight
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:27:46 PM »
Hi all

Obviously a Jack Allan weight with a JA cane, but weirdly has the seconds mark on it CIIG.  I found it strange they would of let a large good weight like this by Jack Allan out of the factory as a second?  Does anyone know the name as well?  Looks like a sparkle in the rain to me, but is much bigger than they normally are, and I really would not expect to see a JA cane in the bottom.  Love to hear some thoughts.....

Ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Caithness JA weight
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »

At first sight I would have said a 'Flower in the Rain' weight (which it is), and Jack Allen did design them - so maybe he signed some? As for the CIIG, I guess something about it was spotted as not quite right after it came out of the annealing oven,

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:09:29 PM »
Has an inclusion just above the base within the bubbles, hence the CIIGness.

Thought the JA cane was rare, and its much bigger than any sparkle in the rain I've seen at 3.5 inches wide, 2.75 inches high.  Wondering if it's a sample which didn't go right, which would explain the CIIGness. 

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:32:06 PM »
Hi Ian,

I suspect that the inclusion alone explains the 'second rating'.

Furthermore, I have never seen a Caithness 'flower in the rain' with such colour combination. May be this was indeed a sample for a colour combination which was judged unsatisfactory.  

Nice weight though.

SophieB

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:10 PM »
Hi Ian,
it's not only the colouring, I feel, but also the shape of the flower, and you mentioned the size: could it be an early trial, leading towards the "official" Flower in the Rain?

BTW - this cane is referred to in Andy Dohan's book as "Jack Allan-3" - illustrated by a base shot, which could very well be the same weight as yours. Text states "UK collectors have reported a third variety of cane used at Oban: white letters in a dark field with 25 millefiori florets around the outside."

Whatever additional comments come in - I would appreciate your permission to add your images to ScotlandsGlass.
Best regards - Wolf
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 01:21:59 PM »
... illustrated by a base shot, which could very well be the same weight as yours.
Actually different weights - but certainly the same signature cane. In Ian's weight the proportion of the cane to the diameter of the base = approx 1/5, in the one in Andy's book (using the CD version) it is almost 1/8. Also, the coloured ground is clearly larger in Ian's weight and with a differnt pattern of white "webbing".

KevinH

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:03 PM »
Well - it obviously is not the identical weight: Ian's is marked CIIG, and the one in Andy's book is not.
I also agree that both weights are likely different in size (assuming the cane is the same size). I disagree, however, to
... Also, the coloured ground is clearly larger in Ian's weight and with a different pattern of white "webbing".
How the size of the coloured ground shows up in images of this type of weight will strongly depend on the angle of aperture of the image, i.e. from which distance it was taken. As we don't have this information on either image, there is insufficient information to support such a statement.
I also feel the webbing is pretty similar, especially if we talk about at least one of them being a design trial.
In other words - what I meant (and hopefully most readers will have understood correctly): both weights could well be the same type of "Flower in the Rain" design.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:10:55 PM »
Ah, yes! I was not reading things with my "other options" hat on and I stayed in "specific detail" mode. It's something I find I am doing more often as I get older, as well as forgetting things from within the past two hours or so. :)

And why is it that people's names are one of the first things to go "missing"? Hmmm, could be a good thread for the Cafe.
KevinH

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Very interesting as always all of you.  Wuff consider this blanket permission to use any of my images anywhere you like!

Haven't decided if I want to sell it yet, assume I won't get another chance to own a Jack Allan weight for £22!

Trying to decide if you can forgive its secondness because of its unusual nature.....

Ian

Offline w84it

• Members
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:02:33 PM »
Well sunshine, if you don't want it I do!   

(said Ian's dad .   Question - are there any more father/son members of the board with the paperweight habit?)

And Kev  -  at the risk of being shot down in flames   -  "Cafe"   -  what cafe?    What am I missing?

Cheers

Keith
Weightforit   -  mad about marbries, crowns and swirls ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand