No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unidentified Paperweight - possibly Baccarat? ID = Murano mid 20th century  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Glass_Lulham

• Members
Hi everyone, I thought I would introduce myself to the forum. I am a glass-enthusiast and aspiring antique dealer and hope to be an active member within what seems a great forum and resource. I bought a number of paperweights in a bargain job-lot a local auction. Although one is Caithness and boxed I am really unsure about the others in terms of maker and value.

I am particularly interested to know whether the Millefiori is Baccarat or not(it has a close-pack of rods in the shape of the letter 'B').

There is also an intriguing paperweight that looks to be initialled 'M R'.
[Mod: See new thread for this item - with revised images]

Thanks in advance,

Jack  :sun:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Unidentified Paperweights - possibly Baccarat?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:04:47 PM »
Welcome to the Board, Jack.

Some basics first:

1. Please keep all images to a maximum pixel size of no more than 1,000 (700 or 800 pixels is usually more than adequate). This avoids most folk having to use a horizontal scroll bar to see the full image. If you have trouble resizing, just ask for assistance and people here will offer help.

2. Please start a new post for each different item, otherwise it gets confusing when several responses relating to the different items are given. [Mod: Separate post now set up - thanks]

Info on this millefiori weight:
This is a standard Murano item. What looks like a "B" in the centre of one of the canes is most likely a distorted section, such as circles or squares that have become squashed. The Baccarat "B" is entirely different.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 05:52:05 AM »
To expand ever so slightly on Kevin's advice.  For pwts three or four photos are desirable - (1)  straight on from the top, (2)  a side shot to give an idea of the proportions of height to diameter, (3)  A clear shot of the base, and (4)  a clear shot of the signature or marking if possible.

For other glass (1)  a general shot as you would look at it, (2)  a side one shot for proportions, (3)  a clear shot of the base, (4) a clear shot of the rim at the top, and of course (5) a clear shot of the signature or marking if possible.

Shots should be taken against a plain background - usually white is best.  In the case of signatures try to arrange the photo so the patterns in the glass are not present, and the markings are easy to read.  Hope this helps.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »
Welcome to the board. It can also be helpful to have your location (country at least) in your profile because, although glass travels widely, some things are more likely to be found in some places than others.

Dimensions are useful too.

Value is entirely subjective and you are unlikely to get too much help on that, though people might comment on desirability or scarcity. The "rare" word is rarely used.

Offline Glass_Lulham

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
Some good words of advice,

Thankyou

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »

Regardless of size / crispness of image, the millefiori weight is 100% Murano, I think from the 1950 - 1970 period.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand