No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Probably Italian  (Read 4717 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Probably Italian
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

The first onw, with generic 'trumpet flower' or 'ice-pick' style flowers, could have been made in many places, but a lot of these come out of the Czech Republic or nearby.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:28 AM »
I agree with Kevin H re the second weight - the signature looks like Mtarfa from Malta.

The first weight seems to have slightly brown glass rather than completely clear (See photo #1) - if that is so I would suspect an Indian origin.  We saw lots brought over here by the Education Dept. - presumably because they were ultra-cheap.  It does not seem to me of sufficient standard to be a reputable artist's work - and most would put there initials on the base if not the whole name.  Hence I suspect it is of Far Eastern origin anyway.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:14 AM »
This is an old thread resurrected and I am now much wiser about paperweights. The second one is definitely Mtarfa.

The second one I am more inclined to go with Japanese than Indian. It is nothing like the Indian ice pick flowers we see here - there are plenty.

This particular paperweight only seems to appear in this colour and it is actually more sophisticated in construction than many icepicks.

More discussion about this here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,28925.0.html

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand