No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Layton signed perfume bottle - but who is A S or A J Clarke?  (Read 7163 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Peter Layton signed perfume bottle - but who is A S or A J Clarke?
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 11:45:59 AM »
I see N S Clarke graduated from Middlesex Poly, sometime in 1976, a few years prior in 1969 Peter Layton help Sam herman set up the Glasshouse in London and thereafter set up his own small studio in Scotland. I gather Peter Layton also set up or helped develop the glass department at Middlesex Poly a few years later. So it is possible that both Peter and Norman crossed paths at Middlesex Poly or if not then, quite possibly at London Glassblowing a few years later.
I have seen one other piece somewhere before with both signatures on. My gut feeling is that both Peter Layton and N S Clarke would have each had some hand in your piece and probably blown in London around the date of the hallmark. If its not produced in London, its not beyond the realms of possibilities that N S Clarke visited/worked at Peter's studio in Scotland. I'm sure the email response will reveal all!

:)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 11:56:47 AM »
What an exquisite piece....I adore butterflies, and feel very envious indeed. To have both signatures on the bottle must be a bonus.....I am thrilled for you JAK.  :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
 :thud:

Greg, you've got some serious misinformation there! I don't think Peter Layton was involved with the setting up of the Glasshouse.
I have the book from the exhibition "The Glasshouse and its Tree" here in my sticky little mitts, and I quote from the introduction by Sam Herman:-

"It has come to my attention that some people have incorrectly claimed involvement in the establishment of the Glasshouse. The only people actually invoved were Graham Hughes, Suzanna Robins, myself and a few of the graduating students who helped build the furnace and kiln. Hopefully, this will finally set the record straight."

I don't believe Peter Layton was one of those students - his name does not appear anywhere on any of the "branches" of the tree illustrated with all the appropriate names.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
Hi,

Looking at Peter Laytons website, 'Peter helped Sam Herman build the first furnace at the Glasshouse in Covent Garden and he subsequently established his own small glass studio in scotland"

http://www.londonglassblowing.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=4

Also came across this link on the web which might help a little with the piece in question. Seems NSC had been working in the West End in the early 80s and had been working at Peter's studio and others in the East End, which would fit nicely with the hall marked date on the piece in question.

http://cornwallartists.org/cornwall-artists/norman-stuart-clarke

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
I think we need a bit of help from Adam A here, to sort this out!
It has to be said, Wayne Filan isn't mentioned in the booklet I have, and I do know he was there for a bit - it's been confirmed by Sam via Adam.
It's a possibility he was one of the un-named students.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:48 PM »
Sue, I know there's been much written about this time, little bit of a murky picture, which doesn't help

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
I think Adam may be at SOFA, so someone may have to poke him when he comes back

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
SOFA ? :ooh: What's that Christine?  :-[
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
Massive arty event in the States.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia