No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Layton signed perfume bottle - but who is A S or A J Clarke?  (Read 7107 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Peter Layton signed perfume bottle - but who is A S or A J Clarke?
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 04:47:56 PM »
Just looking at the link mentioning Charles Ramsey and Peter Layton, It looks like they are referring to the opening of the London Glassblowing Workshop, which both Ramsey and Layton were involved with in 1976. In terms of the glasshouse I gather that this was established in 1969. From reading Peter Layton's biography on his website, it would seem that Peter to some extent had a hand in helping build the original furnace at the Glasshouse. It is difficult to speculate to what extent Peter was involved and how much time he dedicated to this, without being privy to more detailed information.

In terms of the piece in question, I'm sure the email to Peter Layton will provide a little more clarity, London Glassblowing have been very helpful in the past when I have contacted them.

Greg
 :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 06:39:23 PM »
A Little more detail on Scotland's Glass LINK

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 01:17:03 PM »
I have a book produced in 1993 January to accompany the  exhibition 'The Glass Show' a Crafts Council touring Exhibition.  In it on page 48 under Norman Stuart Clarke it says
'Norman Stuart clarke studied at Middlesex Polytechnic.  After working at Nazeing Glassworks from 1976-1977 he joined Peter Layton at the London Glassblowing Workshop.  In 1983 he opened his own studio and in 1989 he opened his own gallery-studio at St Erth Cornwall.'
I have a piece of NSC work signed fully Norman Stuart Clarke 83 LGW so clearly made whilst he was still at London Glassblowing Workshop and was, I believe from AA, part of an exhibition held that year.  I also have an iridescent vase signed P Layton that looks to be similarish vein to your perfume bottle.  The email I received from Sylvie at the LGW regarding that iridescent vase, said it was probably made in the mid 80's whilst at Rotherhithe as at that time he did quite a lot of the iridescent work.  I would think therefore that it is not without possiblity that they did a joint piece earlyish to mid 80's whilst at Rotherhithe setting. 
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »
I've just been reading through the catalogue for more information regarding who was involved in the Glasshouse and found the following -
source: Contemporary British Glass book, produced by the Crafts Council in Jan 1993 to accompany the Exhibition 'The Glass Show'-
page 15 middle of first paragraph
'....But the 'lumpy gobby shapes' that resulted from the experiments of the early 1970s soon gave way to a more disciplined style in Britain.  Dillon Clarke, in reviewing an exhibition by Sam Herman and Peter Layton at The Glasshouse complained in Craft Magazine (November/December 1976) about vagueness of form and sketchiness of concept, concluding 'it would have been a more satisfactory exhibition had we seen one or two ideas more thoroughly explored'.  (my bold)
Obviously this doesn't state that Peter Layton was working at the Glasshouse but does seem to imply it.
m

Offline Ideasnetwork

• Members
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 06:09:59 PM »
Hello Jak,

I just wanted to get in touch regarding your query about the Peter Layton glass piece as we help look after his PR.

Peter has confirmed that the signature is indeed his, which is on the perfume bottle that he designed.  It was then made by Norman S Clarke which explains why there are two signatures.

Peter said that you are very lucky to have a piece signed by the two of them as it is pretty unusual!

I hope this clears up any mystery surrounding your glassware.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
What an exquisite piece....I adore butterflies, and feel very envious indeed. To have both signatures on the bottle must be a bonus.....I am thrilled for you JAK.  :sun:

Well, I had a feeling this was something special Jak.....you are one lucky person.   :) :mrgreen: :thup:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
Thank you "Ideas Network" for responding. I am delighted to get confirmation that this gorgeous little piece is signed by both Peter Layton and N S  Clarke.

Is it possible to find out anything further about when and where it was made? ie as the stopper seems to be  hallmarked  1979 is that the year it was made?  and was it made during the period when he/ they worked in Scotland or was it made in England and  just the silver made (or maybe just assayed) in Edinburgh?

Thank you

regards

Jackie
Western Australia

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 11:51:51 PM »
Thanks Rosie - yes I am lucky :girlcheer:

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum