No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Steuben Green or Look alike?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Steuben Green or Look alike?
« on: February 13, 2006, 01:18:50 AM »
Hi

Had this on before with no ID, just looked at some Steuben vases and bowls by Frederick Carder – some from ‘Pomona’ range – this is the right colour and most importantly the spiral moulding is the same – it’s a dead check for some pieces – c1925 not marked with fleur-de-lys motif.

What do people think?

Also I think from same period I have this very elegant bulb vase (is it a bulb vase?) in amethyst coloured glass, crimped rim with deco feel – any idea of maker?

Any help appreciated

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 07:38:46 AM »
I do not think the colour and spiral moulding in itself are any indication, and unless you can find an identical item with the fleur-de-lis mark it will remain wishful thinking. I would sooner think in the direction of Empoli green.

The purple item is  not a bulb vase: the neck is too narrow for root development.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 02:19:36 PM »
Thank you Ivo

I have similar pictures for the green vase but can't post pics from a modern book, it says the Frederick Carder ‘Pomona’ range was not marked - but books can be wrong - I am going to contact Steuben (although they probably won't get back - only Murano companies seem to reply to me LOL)

Thanks for the amethyst vase information, I agree with you about the shape and think it is a flower vase - I am sure there is a name for these vase shapes something like 'tulip' - mm can't remember off hand.

Thanks

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand