No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Kuttrolf Decanter - Applied Vines/Berries  (Read 4213 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Old Kuttrolf Decanter - Applied Vines/Berries
« on: February 14, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
It's quite roughly finished - the line where the neck has been applied is obvious, the end of the stopper appears to have been just snapped off instead of ground (the snap is just below a bevel), the applied decoration is a bit sharp in some places (not chipped, though) and there are tooling marks all over it.

Can anyone give a rough age and/or country of origin? It looked around 1900-1920's 'Art Nouveau' in the photographs when I bought it, but now I've been able to handle it, it feels earlier - I just have no idea how much. And I might be wrong - my experience of pre-20th century glass is amazingly limited.  :oops:  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 04:32:55 PM »
It first appears in the Holmegaard catalogue 1900 with a height of 30,5 cm; in the 1915 and 1927 price lists there are 4 versions (3/4 - 1/4 liter) and it was taken out of production in 1931.
(from Dansk Glas 1825-1925)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:41:44 PM »
Oh, so it is actually Holmegaard? Wow, there's a surprise!  :D  

Thanks, Ivo!

My one is 27.3cm high... does the ever-useful Dansk book say when one that height would have been made?

I've a few pieces of Holmegaard from 1928-1930 (not kuttrolfs, though), and the quality is really fine on those, so does the coarseness of this indicate that it would be one of the earlier versions?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 04:59:37 PM »
Fig. 266. Klukflaske, blæst over halv post. Korpus pålagt tandede rigler på hjørnerne og rosetter på skulder og bundparti. Halsen indboret for massiv prop med rosetter. Opdrevet og anhæftet. Flasken stærkt »syg« indvendig. H. 30,5 cm.
Holmegaards kat. 1900, nr. 186, i priskurant 1915 udbudt i fire størrelser, 3/4-1/4 liter, som »glatte med Prop og Rosetter«. Endnu i fire størrelser i priskurant 1927, men udgåeti 1931. Svenske »strålaflaskor« har riglerne lagti guirlander og mangler rosetter.
Holmegaards prøvesamling.

ok here is the info complete. :D  :D  :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:27:20 PM »
:shock:  *looks lost*  :shock:

:lol:

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »
Does it say in Dansk Glas (or does anyone know) if this decanter was ever released in a footed variation with an extended stopper?

I recently bought a near identical decanter with the above differences. The stopper is much taller and has sides which mimick the pinched sides of the decanter.

It's not arrived yet, but I'll post my own photographs when it does:

Decanter Auction

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand