No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness "Sentinel"  (Read 4979 times)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Caithness "Sentinel"
« on: February 14, 2006, 01:53:29 PM »
As I still haven't got any ppw books yet, can anyone please tell me when Caithness made the 'Sentinel' paperweight?

I have seen one on ebay, it says it has llG written through the name on the base (no dates given though). Mine doesn't, so I wouldn't mind knowing what this also means.  :oops:

As always, many thanks. :D

P.S. Photos available if necessary.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 03:49:59 PM »
Della, I seem to remember reading somewhere on the board (and now cannot find it!) that Caithness seconds were marked CIIG - someone else may be able to confirm this for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Simone

• Members
    • Glass Forums
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 05:22:36 PM »
Quote from: "Anne"
Della, I seem to remember reading somewhere on the board (and now cannot find it!) that Caithness seconds were marked CIIG - someone else may be able to confirm this for you.

I read the same thing from someone who was selling a lot of them early last year, but always stated they were seconds.

In the book it says Sentinel Style two, designer Colin Terris, 2001 in a limited edition of 1,970. It's still active and the retail price is £34.50.
Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should get used to the  idea.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 05:37:38 PM »
Thanks Anne & Simone.
Mine is not a second then.  :D
I found more than one weight with Sentinel in it's name whilst surfing. I am not even sure what Sentinel Style 2 is, as mine just says Sentinel.

Anyway, it is beautiful and I love it.

Thought I would post pics anyhow. :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 04:38:50 PM »
The Charlton Standard Catalogue of Caithness Paperweights lists items as "Style One" & "Style Two" etc. where a later variation in the basic design was produced.

For Sentinel, the Style Two version was a commission by Royal Mint Exclusives. The "Style One" was an original, unlimited version produced in 1975 (or 1974 if referring to the 1st edition of the Catalogue book). The original was design number CT40 (they stopped using design numbers in 1998) and was made in Green, Purple and Red.

Della's example is the early one and had an original issue price of £12. The 2nd edition of the Catalogue book gives a 2004 UK "value" of £40.

I note that Della's has less height in the central "core" below the bubble than is hsown in the books. However, it is likely that with that unlimited issue, there will have been many variations in details such as height and other shapes within the internal design.
KevinH

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 05:19:02 PM »
Thank you KevH.

With regard to the height, it could just be that the photo was taken from an angle from above so that I could get the shine of the bubbles on the photo.
I also have 2 Caithness Collectors Club paperweights coming tomorrow, 'Reflections' '92 and '94.
Were these made in large numbers?(Sorry for my ignorance :oops: )
I haven't actually seen them in the flesh, so to speak, just on a picture.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 05:47:46 PM »
Ooops - forgot in the first attempt at this reply to say that I do not know about Collector Club versions of "Reflections". But ..

Reflections - 1975 limited to 500 each of Blue, Damson & Green colours. Oiginal Issue Price £15. 2004 "Value" stated as £65.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness "Sentinel"
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 10:59:36 AM »
Quote from: "KevH"
The original was design number CT40 (they stopped using design numbers in 1998) and was made in Green, Purple and Red.

It was the switch to a new computer system that stopped them from using letters in the design code. Design numbers continue in use. (Source Caithness Glass Ltd)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand