No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 14"...mystery object!  (Read 9779 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 10:38:26 PM »
Hmm....thanks for those pics David, they were interesting.  I'm not sure mine would rest easily on it's widest end though....the clear glass is fluted, so it'd be pretty unsteady!  It's a monumentally stupid thing.  :x

I have trouble thinking of it as a finished and complete object...it's just too ridiculous an item!   :lol:  :lol:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David555

• Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 11:05:37 PM »
The fluted bit is a sticking point, but carnival items have fluted bases all the time.

I don't think these Giorgio Ferro items were that steady either - I have not seen any lately LOL

Actually I got the item name wrong - it's not a 'blown glass object' but a 'vase' with a tiny aperture - a Solifleur?

I don't know  ....it was just a thought and took seconds to post, I actually like it - well it's growing on me LOL

I do think it's Italian - in terms of 'OTT  - what is that?' items the Italians are the best - you should see some of the pieces in my books - I am sure none have survived except in museums

The glass that defied gravity

Fratelli Toso 'Sculptura' by Renato Toso c1950s

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 11:12:16 PM »
Hmm...little wonder you haven't seen much of that type of glass recently.  That last piece particularly is begging to be chipped or smashed.   :shock:

Strange how you think my vase could be Italian.  It feels very English to me, despite the bottle brown colouring...perhaps I should stick it on Ebay and say 'I have no idea what it is'...see if it gets any bids...

It'd be a laugh anyway when it goes for less than the £6.50 I paid for it!  :x  :wink:  :roll:
I am not a man

Offline David555

• Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »
LOL

I think it would go for more than £6.50 :wink:

Meanwhile (while you await attribution) where does it go mmmmmmmm

Between Tynell & Still or Siiroinen & Okkolin

What a dilema  :roll:  :roll:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 12:45:15 AM »
I wonder if it's part of a table centrepiece? The fluted part would hold flowers, maybe the other end is meant to slot into a holder on a dish of some sort which would have held fruit or more flowers?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2006, 07:42:45 AM »
As the speculation wave continues, here is another one. German white wine dispenser, missing its suspension frame and pewter tap. These go in the middle of the long oak table, anyone wanting a refill puts his or her rummer underneath and opens the tap - eins, zwei, suffa!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2006, 07:43:08 AM »
But the brown bit is slightly flared, so slotting into doesn't seem to be an option. Is the inside of the brown neck ground? It looks to me like an experiment in glass 'welding'. The brown bit looks like a retort from a science lab and the clear bit part of an epergne set. And is it my imagination but is the 'weld' in a less-coloured glass (i.e., less yellowy) than the 'erperne' bit.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
Max said: but there isn't a hole between the 'bottle' and clear glass 'trumpet' shape

Ivo, no eins zwei gsuffa - the dispenser remains empty  :twisted:  :P  :(  :roll:  :wink:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2006, 11:55:02 AM »
When I saw this, I thought - it's a part of some kind of crazy-looking epergne!
Christine pipped me to the post on the epergne angle.
I do think it could be an epergne part, it's the crimped trumpet, & the fact it's a piece of something makes me think so.
There were some very bizarre epergne designs in the Victorian era & they are often found in bits, too.
Part of a lamp is also possible, too.
Either that, or the glassmaker just made a random experiment to puzzle all future owners of the item! :lol:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
14"...mystery object!
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2006, 08:19:38 PM »
LOL Marinka!  That would be my luck to buy something that's unexplainable!   :roll:

Anne, Ivo, Christine thank you for your input...I love seeing grown people struggle!   :wink:  It could be an epergne I suppose..I like the idea that it could be useful at least...  :)

I'll put it in the shed tomorrow...perhaps one day someone will post another one on the GMB...er...it's not likely though is it?   :roll: :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand