No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made this bird? Cenedese? ID = Toikka for Iittala  (Read 6489 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Re: Who made this bird? Cenedese? ID = Toikka for Iittala
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 06:08:57 AM »
Cathy one other thing. Do you know anyone in Sydney who does good glass repairs? I have 2 pieces that need some work and my last effort at repair locally almost ruined an Archimede Seguso vase.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline px

• Members
Re: Who made this bird? Cenedese?
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 03:04:08 PM »
Just looked up Fugl Alli. I found the fugl means bird. I wonder if the second word is A11i or Alli. I bet it has to do with Iitalla.

"Alli" is "Long-tailed-duck" in Finnish. That is the birds nam in English, in Latin i.e. Clangula hyemalis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-tailed_Duck

Fugl is not Finnish, it seems to be "bird" in Icelandic.

Btw, Oiva Toikka names his birds sometimes very accurately but he also bends the names of common birds whenever, I suppose, he thinks the bird may not exactly look like a certain species or then simply just for fun. Many of the names are really funny. (you read: hard to translate)  :)

PS. Iittala is Iittala, not Iitalla, just in case you would google  ;)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
px, I have such a hard time figuring out how many letters to double in the word. I have to look it up each time I spell it. I guess this time I looked up the wrong spelling. I'll have to remember, 2 eyes, 2 teeth, and one long nose (old alligator). Now I'll remember. Maybe.  :D
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 07:00:44 PM »
... I'll have to remember, 2 eyes, 2 teeth, and one long nose (old alligator). Now I'll remember. Maybe.  :D

Ha Ha ! That's a good one!  ;D Everybody should keep that in mind. "Iiittala = old alligator"  :thup:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How on earth did I miss that one??  I have Oiva Toikka on worldwide search 24/7!!   :thud:

Ardy, you are one lucky Aussie!!  :cry:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 10:11:34 PM »
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: How on earth did I miss that one??  I have Oiva Toikka on worldwide search 24/7!!   :thud:

Ardy, you are one lucky Aussie!!  :cry:

Sorry Rosie but the seller had it under Murano and did not know what it was, same as me. I just liked the look of it and bought it.
I'm living dangerously with this one as I am under strict financial instructions and only allowed to buy Archimede Seguso unless it happens to be antique jewellery,perfume or whatever Alison fancies, in which case that is different.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
You can just see too - on the base photo in the listing - the corner of the blue on silver Nuutajärvi label poking out underneath the rectangular white label.  :rah:

robbo
robbo

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 06:27:57 PM »
I was wondering about Nuutajärvi when I found the Iittala listings on Google. I always see Nuutajärvi on eBay for the Toikka birds. Did he do designs for both places? I am totally out of my element with Scandinavian glass.

Added on. Oh... never mind. Dumb question.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 09:42:59 PM »
You can just see too - on the base photo in the listing - the corner of the blue on silver Nuutajärvi label poking out underneath the rectangular white label.  :rah:

robbo
And I think it is signed as well!!  On the stripes going round the underside of the tail....the usual place for these birds!!  Oh you lucky boy Ardy!!
Anita....not dumb at all...I take it you found the answer?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 09:57:17 PM »
This is a consolation prize for a poor purchase of glass last week that was supposed to be Seguso. :-[

It will be a one off in our house but I think we will enjoy having it.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand