No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Nazeing Glass, please?  (Read 1365 times)

Offline zidori

• Members
Is this Nazeing Glass, please?
« on: March 01, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »
I was wondering if this was a piece of Nazeing glass. I originally thought it was Vasart/Monart when I acquired it but it just doesn't have the same look as other of my pieces-nor can I find a shape such as this on Ysartglass website. Can anyone please help?
Thanks in anticipation,
John

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Is this Nazeing Glass, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 10:54:33 AM »
Hi John IMHO not Monart or Vasart, sorry  I can't put a name to the maker. Though I have seen that design on ebay listed as Vasart.
Gary

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 11:57:43 AM »
hello John  -  at great risk of getting it wrong again ;).........certainly this is both the correct shape and colour for a Nazeing piece - the colour being from one of the group of 'lilacs and purples'.
You don't mention whether your piece is cased in clear, and would be interesting to hear what sort of pontil depression it has.
I know we've had these on the Board previously, so you might get more information by using the search and trying under Nazeing. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 12:01:45 PM »
meant to say that from memory this is one of the less common colours - I like it  -  and think I can see the 'halos' around the bubbles.      I could be wrong but most of the Nazeing that appears here seems to be from the pink and green groups.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the replies.
The vase is cased in clear glass and the pontil is a very smooth and precise hollow with a sharp gash (smoothed to avoid being dangerous) where the bowl has been snapped from the glassblowers pole.
Regards
John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 05:24:35 PM »
Thanks John  -  I'd feel confident in saying this is o.k. as one of the Nazeing lilac pieces :)           Although quite smooth, their pontil depressions often remain with a slightly matt finish.
Look closely at the bubbles, you should see the slightly darker area of colour around them, which forms the 'halo'.

Offline zidori

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 05:47:25 PM »
You are quite right about the pontil - though smooth it does have a matt finish.
John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand