No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Paperweight ID floral millefiori pattern. ID = Paul Ysart Garlanded Bouquet  (Read 6687 times)

Offline seeker

• Members
[Mod: This thread has been extended by merging with another relating to the weight discussed. The original thread has been modified and trimmed to remove comments and posts connected with responses to a comment that caused some distress.]

Need help in identifying the maker of this paperweight, not sure who made it or the age of it.

Size approx about 2½" tall and approx diameter is about 2¾"

Many thanks for any help (again!)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Paperweight ID flower / floral millefiori pattern
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:33:58 PM »
I might be wrong, but that could be a Paul Ysart

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 07:34:53 PM »
Hi.

It is indeed a Paul Ysart - and is due to be sold soon in an auction house.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 07:58:51 PM »
Yay, I'm learning  :girlcheer: :girlcheer:

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »
In response to a Moderator query about ownership of the photos, since the weight was known to be included in a forthcoming auction house sale, "Seeker" confirmed that they were her own images and that there was no problem with copyright.
KevinH

Offline pooleandpaperweights

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
The paperweight was part of Lot 514 at Durrants today, which has just gone through.  I was underbidder and it sold for £400 hammer.  The millifiori/bouquet weight is obviously an Ysart, but I'm wondering if it is a Paul piece, and what period?  Im assuming early years?  And taking into account say 20% commision to pay and getting it posted somehow, is £400 hammer a good price for it with the 3 victorian dump weights (all chipped, one has a large annealing crack) and piece of agate as well?

cheers
Ian

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
Hi Ian,

Yes, it is a Paul Ysart bouquet. I would have thought 1930's Moncrieff period. A very nice weight.

Not sure about the price: it would have come to approx. £500 overall. It would have been too steep for me but I have quite shallow pockets (academics are not known for their large income power!!!). At least the seller will get a good price/surprise...

Cheers.

Sophie  

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27:54 PM »

I bid up to a modest level, but it was not the nicest example of a Paul Ysart bouquet that I have seen: not that many flowers and buds, or signature canes.  What was more attractive to me was the decent sized St Mande concentric in a later lot, which seemed to go more or less undetected (odd, as there are few secrets now that the great majority of lots appear on subscription free internet sites, often with illustrations). But I am going to make sure it has a good home... >:D

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Best you show us the St Mande when you get it now you've piqued our interest.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People

I will do that - but it can take a long time to get auction lots sent by post.

I recently bought a couple of mixed lots in Scotland that took nearly a month to get to me! That said, the auction house packed the 20 paperweights themselves (very well), and charged me a lot less than one of the 'collect and ship' courier companies might have done - under £2 per paperweight. One office of Mailboxes (who are a franchise, and so can set their own charges at branch level) once charged me over £30 for a single paperweight they sent from Devon to Somerset!

Alan

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand