No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What Murano Work has a scorpion mark to the base?  (Read 3578 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
What Murano Work has a scorpion mark to the base?
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:15:25 AM »
There was a bird/vase on our local ebay item #180655031329. It was a very unusual design, I didn't want it but the claim that it has a scorpion mark to the base intrigued me.

In an effort to expand my knowledge, I wonder who this maker was. I have never seen anything like this.

regards
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: What Murano Work has a scorpion mark to the base?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
Hi Ardy,

The piece doesn't appear to be Murano in my eyes.  Others my differ. 

tam bam

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 04:10:54 PM »
I think the scorpion mark is an urban myth and it's actually where the glass has been cut with shears or removed from the pontil.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:31:35 PM »
Yep Christine is right and i believe it all started with the Murano Clowns , some have it some dont .

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
Hi guys

The so called Scorpion mark that appears on some Murano glass is nothing to do with any mark, artistic trademark of identifier of any sort. It is simply an erroneous mark made after the pontil is broken off and does not belong to any furnace on Murano either now or past.

Ciao

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 06:52:56 AM »
Dean:

If I were a more suspicious person, I might believe you're posting in this thread to put your company in front of people. I'll assume that you're simply enthusiastic and want to share some of your knowledge with the GMB. However, when you do nothing more than repeat what Christine said a few months ago, thus bringing up an old settled thread with no new insights, I start to wonder.  I'm not saying this to be offensive or argumentative, but to indicate how I and others might see you. 

Many of the members of this board are involved in commercial ventures connected with glass and they have learned to balance their commercial interests with the interests of the board. As a result, we get to share the expertise of many people, while, at the same time, we are aware of their commercial interests. If, however,  a member demonstrates a lack of balance, it seems that members of this board turn off that member. You have probably noticed several fairly sharp comments directed at you already.

I'm trying to offer what I hope is a friendly perspective, rather than start a debate. You obviously have a passion for glass that matches the passion of many people on this Board. I would hope you are able to find a way to stay constructively involved.

Thank you,

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand