No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance Pressed Glass Patterns  (Read 57588 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Chance Pressed Glass Patterns
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2006, 06:07:06 PM »
Ooohhh Anne, that's just too jammy!  :lol:  I trawled all the charity shops in Lancaster today in the hope of finding one... zilch!  

But, I did find an oval shaped Britannia bowl with central hole in frosted pink, a small oblong Dahlia pin tray, and a round Lace pattern plate (teaplate sized) so it wasn't a complete disaster!   :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
Anne B:
I spotted it in the local charity shop this morning

Dead Jammy! :twisted: I must come to these Mancunian charity shops!

Anne N:
But, I did find an oval shaped Britannia bowl with central hole in frosted pink,

That sounds like it should have a metal plinth attached. I've always wondered why these go missing when you'd think the glass would get broken first! :D
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »
The staff in my local charity shop think I'm quite mad :roll:  I got really excited  when I saw the bowl (which only cost 49p). The same thing happened recently when I spotted a Sherdley fruit bowl set too in the same shop.  I'll have to be careful in future.  They might think I know something about the glass that they don't, and might put up the prices :lol:  May be I should approach buying glass in the same way that poker should be played 8)

Your Britannia bowl sounds lovely Anne :P
Anne E.B

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2006, 12:33:31 AM »
Quote from: "DenCill"
That sounds like it should have a metal plinth attached. I've always wondered why these go missing when you'd think the glass would get broken first! :D

I've always suspected that the metal goes rusty or miscoloured so are removed. Of course, it could also be a change in taste / fashion thing as well as stands went out of fashion they were removed.  :idea:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2006, 05:38:53 PM »
I think you are right Anne.  I've got some Bagley pieces in their original metal holders which have become tarnished and discoloured.  Also, the glass has become discoloured as a result in places, and there are scratches on the glass, most probably caused by the inserts being constantly taken out and replaced after cleaning.  They certainly look more modern without the holders :P  

David - is there a picture of 'Cato' anywhere?  Might be able to spot one if we know what we are looking for :shock:
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2006, 06:48:33 PM »
Quote from: Anne E.B.
David - is there a picture of 'Cato' anywhere?  Might be able to spot one if we know what we are looking for :shock:
Weeeellll... funny you should say that :wink:

I've just got back from Stamford after visiting Maggie and Keith Tyrrell, who are/were avid Chance collectors. They've kindly donated two large boxes of various Chance glass to help me with the book (there, I've said it :lol:) and the remainder can either go to the museum or be sold for charity (Maggie said Acorns was fine). Some very interesting items that I'll be posting over the next few days.

Cato Example

However, Keith has also kindly sent on some photos of a Cato example! If you go to the site and click the 'Cato' link in the menu this will show two shots - you can click on either photo to bring up a larger version. Also there's a photo of two Gossamer dishes; one green and one clear with gilt rim.

Note the gilt rim and included trails on the Cato. Not sure whether the plines were applied onto the glass, but I suspect so.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2006, 07:23:55 PM »
Aah!  I've never seen that design before.  Just wondered if the Gossamer decoration was applied in the same way too?  

Out of the 'book case' at last :lol:  8)

Look forward to seeing new items in coming days.
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2006, 03:24:04 PM »
I've uploaded a few new variants on several patterns, including two celery vases in Spiderweb and Waverley, a green Britannia De Lux, and new items for Lancer and Lotus.

Go http://www.chanceglass.net and browse!

Also some new shapes for the Fiestaware patterns.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2006, 04:54:52 PM »
Its looking fab :P   The green Gossamer (pinched rim) is a real surprise.  Is it 'milk glass'?   The handkerchief bowl section looks really colourful 8)

I've got a tall  lab. glass (Arthur Percy - Gullaskruf shape) that has "P.H. & CO" etched on it.  Just wondered if this might be a Hysil one?  Do you know if the one you show is marked in the same way, as well as having its label?
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »
Anne, sadly the green Gossamer is not mine (I still don't own one) and just realised I didn't credit either bowl properly – yours is the clear one! However, the uploading of my web files is incredibly slow ATM, so I'll sort this once I've contacted my ISP.

But most of Chance 'coloured' glass is actually enamel coated, including the Britannia range with the coloured inserts, so I suspoect this is the same. Chance didn't go in for coloured glass much! :D

Not sure about your lab flask. Trouble is there were quite a few competitors for this market segment; Sherdley in St. Helens and I think Dema as well. The one I show is at Smethwick Heritage Centre unfortunately.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand