No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed centrepiece for reference  (Read 2085 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Signed centrepiece for reference
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:45 PM »
I have seen a few of these centrepieces before but do not remember seeing any signed so will post this for reference.

Roy

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Signed centrepiece for reference
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:07:26 AM »
Thank you Roy, you're a star as always!

Time to refresh my inquiry regarding such a centrepiece with rest of a label seen in Buenos Aires last year, please.

Roy, may I add your pictures to mine in blue please?

Same as I should finally do with my own pictures of the label...  :pb:  :hb1:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »
It is obvious but your signature, Roy, would be for glass to be sold in French territory.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:13:14 AM »
Yes, but it also often appears on glass found in the UK. There isn't a huge French community, at least not in the last century, so I would suggest that it actually got exported elsewhere too and that it was easier to mark it all in a batch than just mark some.

Or even that the marker didn't know the difference between French and English...

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 01:58:28 PM »
Christine, there was a substantial French speaking market for Czech glass and it was deliberately targetted. Glass travels after it is sold.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
I realise that Frank, but not that much of it travels beyond the country of import, especially not stuff which may only be reaching the secondary market for the first time (I'm not talking small items bought on holidays). I meant French community here in the UK.

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:15:30 PM »
Pamela please use any pictures as wish, I was not sure if any others had been signed or not.

I tend to agree with Christine that its more than possible that many pieces were exported to the UK signed that way. I see quite a few pieces signed the French way and always thought myself that they were exported direct rather than being bought back from France or other French speaking countries

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand