No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 birds in a tree  (Read 5288 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Re: 2 birds in a tree
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »
Just need to find who made mine now :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 02:54:47 PM »
Have you asked Angela Bowey if she can help Wolfie? She has a broader knowledge of lampwork than many.
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marcus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Deco Glass
    • England
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 09:04:44 PM »
It was on the pier in Eastbourne, back in the late 1970s that inspired me to become a lamp worker. I was fascinated just watching it. The studio is still in operation and run by his Granddaughter (I think?) but the studio has moved along the pier. There was another based in Hastings and also in Brighton when I was in my early teens and even younger there was one based in Croydon, Surrey in the Kennards store (now Debenhams) The bases of these lamp-worked items will often lead towards Id, as most workers stick with what they've achieved and known to suit their requirements. The first post on this thread, shows a turned foot, which is relatively uncommon for these items, and it is this perhaps that will help to identify the maker, though as has already been said, it is close to impossible to put a name to many of these works and also dating them, save for their individual styles, such as long-spindly legs on animals for example. I used borosilicate glass myself, which back in the day was only available in uncoloured glass or insipid brown/amber, however it was much more resilient to fractures during the making and far more sturdy once a piece was produced. One could also produce the various component pieces and then quite literally melt them again to join the components to make a finished piece... But not always! The only drawback, was that gas & oxygen was required and a more substantial lamp other than those used with gas & air for soda glass... I wonder if anybody remembers (or even has) one of the many borosilicate ships in bottles with golden sails? I'm sure that any person on here that currently works glass at the lamp, will agree that its truly addictive and quite a buzz! As with like most artistic mediums, one is only as good as ones own ideas, no matter how technically brilliant one might be. I used to know several scientific glass blowers (like myself during training) that produced exact and precise glass products, but ask them to make a fish, a flower or an animal for example and they'd have difficulty doing it.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 06:52:45 AM »
Thanks Marcus. Excellent and interesting info, thanks for taking the time.
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand