No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: PW -- Bubbles, GoldFlecks, and a Bubble Circle....???  (Read 2037 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
PW -- Bubbles, GoldFlecks, and a Bubble Circle....???
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:30:40 AM »
 :hi: there:

Not trying to be a      here with Posts, but I don't usually get this many glass items in one shot (or as in Mushrooms, and paperweights) at one time.  Again, this was purchased from the lady that has moved here to Canada from the UK.  I have no idea about this one, but I think rather striking.  Like the title says "  Bubbles, Gold Flecks, and a Bubble Ring" is the best way I can describe it.  I am totally clueless  in regards to this one, and have no idea where to start.

Looks like it is Well-made, IMHO........?.......

So a big  :help: here.

Thanks as always
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: PW -- Bubbles, GoldFlecks, and a Bubble Circle....???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »

Hi Rose

These and broadly similar designs are usually modern Chinese. You can get a feel for the style from the Modern Chinese examples on my website, but I have seen near identical pieces on Chinese manufacturers websites. They may be loosely (very loosely) based on a Wedgwood design.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:25:56 PM »
Hi there:

Silly question on this one, but I have been looking around on the board and found this quote, here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=18714.0:

Hi all

Just to make this subject even more incomprehensible - at one stage Caithness used an "S" etched on the bases to indicate a second and I also believe that another method was to etch the base so that it had a frosted appearance but NO markings.

Best regards

Derek

So just *wondering* IF this dome shaped might be Caithness -- as the base has a frosted appearance to it......any truth in that??

Since out the the 6 items I bought (3 mushrooms and 3 PW) and now I find out for the PW that one IS Caithness (marked), and now the other one with CG2 (not CGZ as I thought) might be a second quality one (the 2 sure looked like a Z to me)............................IS there any possibility that this one with a Frosted base is also an second??

Going by that statement above ????   Just wondering 

:X:  ??    :X:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
????

Hi:
Looking around on the net here, and of course a GMB post came up.  

Now in this Post here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=37651.0

At Reply #8 (by flyingfree) there is a link to an image.  Here is it here (again):  
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc578.jpg

Does my PW look at all like that (opinions) or should I take some pics at different angles.  Could it be that the bubble circle in mine is NOT a perfect shaped bubble circle, and therefore -- not high enough standards for it.  Not sure the maker of that link of that picture, but mine kinda (IMHO) looks the same.....kinda?? ....maybe??

Who made that PW in that link of Flyingfree??  Is that one Chinese?  or who?

Just wondering ....

I am going outside -- as it is suppose get to 31 C today...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »

The following links lead you to examples of just a few of the thousands and thousands of designs of paperweights available from Chinese factories. There are some very similar in style to those shown above - which does not mean that the ones above are 100% Chinese, but that is where I would put my money.

Enjoy!

Alan

138 Chinese weights

61 Chinese weights

94 'Murano' Glass weights (from China)
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand