No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: IOW+Kerry glass ......  (Read 1795 times)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
IOW+Kerry glass ......
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:49:45 PM »
Just wanted to show these two items bought them from the oswestry show ground this morning while david batty and tim wannacott were rushing around trying to get the pairs of contestants to make a shilling i paid £30 for them both i think the perfume is iow cranberry summer fruits 12-13cm tall and the vase i think is kerry glass peat it has an iow made in england sticker???unusual to my way of thinking were they a bargain....

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: IOW+Kerry glass ......
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
 :thup:

They're both Isle of Wight Studio Glass. The "Peat" (and Shamrock and Heather) designs were the designs MH gave to Kerry to start up with, they were made in both places.
The only way of telling them apart is by label, or, if it is a later Kerry bit, after the original flame logo dooffer got lost and a replacement was made with the flame the other way around.

many Kerry pieces have the flame mark the right way around.

Yup, a very good purchase!  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »
 :hiclp:Great it was funny seeing the TV people going around i dont do the fairs as a rule this was my second trip to one as its on my doorstep but it suprised me the high prices or should i say initial prices as soon as i picked up a piece the dealers knock off 25% in general hoping for a quick sale but i though these were ok prices for the two!!
Does the kerry glass made at IOW mean its more desirable??
Thanks for your reply again chopin-listz

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 12:33:12 PM »
It's not Kerry if it's made at Isle of Wight. :thup:

I have no idea if either is more "desirable" than the other - to me it's what the glass looks like that's important.  :spls:

I don't fuss about pawmarks or silly inflations of price because of features (such as labels) that are irrelevant to the actual artistic merit of the piece. I don't understand it - and I object to paying inflated prices for items which have them.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 02:45:54 PM »
Summer fruits has been made for a long time, it has been a very successful range and is still being made. As items are not in short supply they do not fetch as much as some. Not sure how widespread Kerry is collected but imagine that it may become more desirable as it becomes better known.

Fifteen quid each sounds like a fine price to buy at to me....

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 03:32:15 PM »
I saw a little squat Summer Fruits pb go for ~£40 on ebay recently - but I think it was an unusual shape - and of course it was a pb, which gives another collecting field to add to that of IoWSG.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 11:01:36 PM »
Thanks both, Its great the knowledge on here you pair should do a new book together on michael harris lol  i think another book could be done on the earlier works quite easily with new picture etc.... :hi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand