No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2nd speculative buy - really lovely cased clear glass vase ID = Caithness  (Read 4465 times)

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Re: 2nd speculative buy - really lovely cased clear glass vase
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:01:42 PM »
I think I get it.  So this Caithness piece is probably very finely textured.  I can see now that it's not completely smooth - I wasn't looking properly before (and of course it doesn't feel completely smooth  either.  Many thanks for all of the info John.  Artifacts take on a new personality when you know a bit about them.
Nancy

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:11 PM »
Occasionally, the way something is made can help to give clues as to who it was who might have made it.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:58 PM »
These weren't moulded, after adding colour and casing they were just swung on the blow-pipe to stretch them out, bonked on the ground to flatten the base and that's it. Quick and cheap to make. The texturing might be a deliberate experiment or it could be caused by cooling effect on the marver or whatever was used to flatten the base on the ground.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 08:32:53 PM »
p.s. Just checked Marks books, confirms method. Form designed by Peter Fuin. Ken Wainwright did do some 'presumably 'experimental textured pieces in Oban... but much more pronounced... technique explained in book, so perhaps this falls into the same category. So far undocumented.

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:43 PM »
I want that hedgehog!!! :cry:

Back to the vase.....if they were 'bonked on the ground' as you say Frank,  could the texture be formed by the floor's surface perhaps??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
It would not actually be the floor, would be something on it, wad of wet paper or wood. Not likely to be the cause of texture. Picture is not clear enough for my eyes to really see the texture. So could not say for sure if this is an accidental (unlikely but not impossible) or deliberate texturing.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
Is this picture any help? 
Nancy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
If the texture elongates away from the base it was intentional, if it is a consistent 'shape' then more mysterious.

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
I've been reading an article by Mark Hill which says that the Oban range was designed by Charles Orr in the 1970s.  Does anyone know if this range is still in production or did it end in the '70s?  (I've tried to find out on line but no luck.)  Thanks.
Nancy

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Probably into the 80s but cannot access all the cats at the mo, no sign of it in the 90s. Flamenco seems to be a rework on the theme that was produced through the 90s

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand