No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pamela or anyone.....is this Walther MARY  (Read 15026 times)

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
Pamela or anyone.....is this Walther MARY
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 11:46:54 PM »
wow! thanks for all the fascinating discussion here Pamela and "anyone" Glen :)

So can I therefore assume that the candlesticks are definitely MARY by Walther, but that the jury is still out on the tray  :?:

again, thanks to both of you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2006, 09:09:10 AM »
Quote from: "AlmasAttic"
So can I therefore assume that the candlesticks are definitely MARY by Walther, but that the jury is still out on the tray  :?:

Cheri - yes, that's how I see it.

The Walther catalogs have clear and distinct illustrations of the candlestick, and it is shown as "Mary". But in the catalogs that I have, there is not an entire suite of shapes shown - just one or two "here and there" - and certainly no "Mary" oval tray.

There are several dresser trays shown - but none is the exact match to yours. But then we know that not every piece was shown in the pattern books, and of course, there must be catalogs that have not yet seen the light of day.

Of course it's even possible that your tray is not from Walther.

So, yes, I guess the jury is still out.

Beautiful candlesticks  :D

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »
Thanks Glen!

I do appreciate the assistance and the compliment on the gorgeous candlesticks.

I am tentatively listing the tray as Mary too, as it was purchased from an Estate as a set with the candlesticks and certainly the glass seems identical, plus, there is just "something" about the pieces that seem to match....
Look forward to hearing if Pamela's sleuthing turns up anything more definite on the tray

I do so love the old Walther glass! :P

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2006, 07:34:37 PM »
Cheri, had no time today to count the rays of the star base - in fact I even didn't go to my museum  :?  but looked through all catalogues' copies I have got:
there is a similar oval tray with the same star base in the Walther VMG 1931 catalogue ROLAND # 21186/21188 on page 46 - the one pictured has got 18 arches, whereas yours has 30 ! maybe 21186 had 18 and 21188 had 30?  :evil:
another one is shown on page 114 - that one has got 24 arches  :?

I do think that offering your tray as maybe Walther is not incorrect, but it seems - as Glen said - it is not MARY

'Mary' as a pattern name never apppeared again in Walther catalogues in other shapes!

Glen, are you able to post the Walther/Radeberg pages here, please? VMG 1931 came with PK 2003-2-1 : thank you! (this computer here is a simple small notebook, no scan, no print, no nothing but GMB! which is the most valuable equipment :D  )
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7319499070&fromMakeTrack=true

incredible coincidence... just came across this one in Australia Cheri!
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2006, 08:46:30 PM »
as always - this leads me to thinking of 'this pink one newly made in Malaysia'?
Pamela

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
hmmmmmm

now that IS interesting Pamela as I have a "vaseline" glass dresser jar that looks like that pink one, and it was sold to me as Bagley

:roll:

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2006, 09:40:06 PM »
poooh!
Cheri I am not the Bagley expert I'm afraid  :(
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2006, 09:52:45 PM »
and so far there is nothing comparable in Walther I'm afraid
Pamela

Offline AlmasAttic

• Members
    • Remtique
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 10:58:57 PM »
Pamela

I have sometimes purchased dresser "sets" only to discover later that they are in fact made up of pieces by a variety of manufacturers! So I am guessing that is maybe what that pink set may be :roll:
and also so possibly the fact that my MARY candlesticks and the tray came together but may not be from the same pattern or both by Walther
(tho I must say again that there is just that distinctive "something" about them that whispers Walther to me!....the texture and colour of the glass is very like my green satin Nymphen set, and the workmanship is what I have come to love about Walther pieces)

so, for now the candlesticks are labelled Walther "Mary" and the tray just "believed to be Walther" with thanks to you and Glen in both descriptions :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand