No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Five new Items - Some IDs needed  (Read 3194 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Five new Items - Some IDs needed
« on: February 15, 2006, 10:42:02 PM »
Hi

Bought some Vasart yesterday – so some shape checks and questions

So this seems like a V006 – I have never had single colour vase in this shape before. Pale yellow with flecks of orange here and there and also some flecks of green as you can see – button pontil to base, 7” high, 6” diam at rim

V003 - 2.4” high, 4” diam at rim

V022 - 4” high, 3” diam at rim

V012 – with gilding to rim – 3.75” high, 3” diam at rim (only my second vase with gilding to rim)

This seems like B001 but the top is wrong – ID anyone?

No acid etched marks to bases, were brought in by a Vasart collector who had sold all his larger pieces off at an auction house – he had about fifty but I just bought five as I had a lot of the other shapes, if not the colour ways (or money LOL)

Any help appreciated

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 03:52:09 PM »
That last one is a new shape can you email me a larger copy for the catalogue please.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:45:18 PM »
Hi Frank

What would you say the yellow vase is shape wise? - base diameter is 4.5", rim diameter is 6.5"

The V012 looks a lot wider at the top than it should be - does the gilding to rim add to desirability?

I sent you pics on the last piece, thanks for the email back - always a pleasure - what do I log this as, is it a variation of B001

All are unsigned, that makes them 1956 - 64?

Any input appreciated as always

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 09:50:37 AM »
:D :? :D

The last one looks very like some Schneider I've seen. Have you checked the surface of the bowl for a signature? That's where the bowl I've seen was signed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 12:19:05 PM »
The yellow is a V6. The one you say is V12 is another new shape... big pics again please. So far I have only 39 vase shapes shown, a few more in the backlog but there are likely to be over 100.

The last bowl is probably late Vasart but could be early Strathearn but that would be hard to tell from a picture. The pale yellow is more often found Strathearn.

Sorry I have very little free time at the moment should be easier next month.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2006, 08:53:39 PM »
No problems Frank - I know how busy you are, yet you are always here for us :P

All information gratefully received whenever you are ready, I am in no hurry.

My dealer gets such a lot of Vasart in different shapes, he lets me take photos, so when I am down and I see something different I will try and get a good white background photo and post to you - 90% will be stuff you have but it may be worth it for that 10%

Ref buying - I have about 50 pieces of Monart/Vasart and some strathearn - I am being much more selective these days (I collect in other areas), I missed a Monart piece in his shop last week, because I dithered - it was gone the next day - ahhh it will come again if meant to :wink:

I think the way the last bowl is finished to base and the colours it is late Vasart as you say Frank - finding out that pale yellow colour was used on more late Vasart shapes (could also be Strathearn without 'salmon'), than I ever thought - but I am still just learning.

Thanks as always

Adam P

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 09:01:06 PM »
Gilding has little impact on value, unless 2 someones have not had a piece and decide to fight it out. Probably a low percentage of production but not rare on small bits.

Lots of the Bell's decanters were gilded with a lot of different variations... 1 band, 2 band, different width bands etc.. But it is generally less common on larger pieces.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2006, 08:51:21 PM »
David what was the size of the orange/yellow bowl? Just adding it :)

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 10:36:39 PM »
Sorry for not responding sooner been in Milan working till 9th

The Bowl is 2.5" high, 4.25" diam at top, 3" diam at base

Thanks

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand