No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Deep turquoise carafe advertising Players No. 6 cigarettes ID = Nazeing  (Read 2110 times)

Offline vanmann

• Members
I bought this carafe which I assume originally would have graced a pub bar, with gilded Players No. 6 logo.Any ideas please where this may have originated. it has a flat(tish) base with a bit of age wear.Thanks John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Deep turquoise carafe advertising Players No. 6 cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 06:18:02 PM »
Nazeing, shown in amber on page 181 of 20th Century Glass by Andy McConnell. I would recommend buying as many books on glass as you can lay your hands on. :sun:

John

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
No 6 were introduced in the 1960s, a smaller than standard brand that came with gift coupons. Fizzled out when tax on cigarettes switched from weight to per pack and everyone switched to King size. Dumbest ever tax change but smoking was still 'safe' then. Which ties the date down fairly well but I guess Nazeing can tell you the precise dates of production period.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:22 AM »
Aaaah- nostalgia! No. 6 were the second cheapest fags back then Frank!
I alternated between Sovereign (cheapest) and Balkan Black Sobranie (possibly the most expensive, but they did look good with a long cigarette holder and past-the elbow kid gloves with rings on top.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »
Until they brought out No.10s  :sm:

The other bummer on the tax change forcing King Size to dominate is that all of those glass cigarette boxes and folding metal cases suddenly became useless.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand