No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Spaniel paperweight i.d.  (Read 5249 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Spaniel paperweight i.d.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »
I do not think anyone here has positively identified the item as being "Vincenza".

As has been suggested, there are several known "trading names" that may be connected with items like this animal. There are possibly several outlets in the UK alone dealing in "The Leonardo Collection" (which covers ceramics as well as glass, and maybe other materials too). There is definitely a trade name which includes "Leonardo Vincenza" in its detail.

The importer Lesser & Pavey still cover the "leonardo" range and has the web domain: leoanardo.co.uk. Another outlet is Robert Taubman Ltd. As far as regular paperweights go (as opposed to fgurines, animals etc.) those offered by traders such as Lesser & Pavey are usually Chinese or Taiwanese in origin. Certainly, Lesser & Pavey have been importing goods from China for many years.

If Malc's animal is "Vincenza" - whatever that really means - then I suspect giftware from China or Taiwan is about as close as we can get to a "maker".

A search on the board (or a general Google search) for "glass" + "Leonardo" / "Vincenza" will provide some interesting reading. But what we really need is a proper match to items with a link to a known trade outlet or a specific company.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 06:22:38 PM »
I'm sure these can be id'd at least roughly by having a wee visit to TKMaxx - where you're likely to find a "Made in China" label on the bottom of this, and similar pieces.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:43:29 PM »
" But what we really need is a proper match to items with a link to a known trade outlet or a specific company."

I thought I gave that in my first reply Kev.....I gave a link to Vincenza.....the link shows the Spaniel listed there.

If, as I believe they may be, they are made in China and imported by other companies with Italian sounding names, then it is no wonder that so many crop up for sale on eBay listed a Murano Sommerso....as per the second link I gave with the cat and cockerel for sale.

We have had threads about these before.....birds listed as very expensive Dino Martens pieces....I think it might have been one of the first questions I brought up here shortly after I first joined the GMB......hey ho!

Just found it.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22383.0.html
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:36 AM »
Rosie, I have now checked again on the first link you gave, and yes, I understand that the wholesaler site does indeed, state "Vincenza" for what looks like an identical dog to Malc's item. Their "About us" page states: "We source products from the major Importers, the likes of Leonardo, and then sell on in small quantities ...".

So yes, could well be out of the "Leonardo" (Lesser & Pavey) range, but with the alternative marketing name of "Vincenza".

Until folk realise that the "Vincenza Collection" (another alternative wording) is a range of giftware most likley made in China or Taiwan then, as you and others say, people will contine to sell them on as "Murano" or "Italian".

But ... as long as people are happy with a marketing or brand name being the closest they can get to an identification, then fair enough. Ill be quiet now. ;D
KevinH

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:27 PM »
No. don't be quiet Kev.....interaction is how we learn and makes us question both ourselves and others.

Perhaps you or one of the other Moderators could merge this with this older thread:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22383.0.html

There seems to be a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between this one and that one, and they are both addressing the same question.....do you think that would be a good idea Kev?
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:08:19 PM »
Sorry, I can't say anything ... I said I will be quiet on this. But, hang on, I have just said something about it. Oh, bother!

Oh well, since I have commented I will take a look at the older threads that cover similar ground and see what can be done about a merger. 8)
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand