No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Venetian style wine glass with latticino or soffiati or?  (Read 2885 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Venetian style wine glass with latticino or soffiati or?
« on: February 25, 2012, 08:44:13 PM »
I really don't know what it is that I have bought but it caught my eye from a distance and anyway, here it is. I thought it was a bit of soffiati at first as it reminded me so much of this bit: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,43932.0.html
Like that one, this is very finely blown and has a neat folded rim around the foot. While hunting around looking for info the shape looked similar to Venetian wine glasses from the 15th and 16th century.  :spls:

It does not strike me as being that old, can't put my finger on exactly why but could it have been made much more recently 'in the style of'.

There is a small snapped pontil mark, quite a few air bubbles here and there, some gold leaf on the foot and a wobbly rim. It is 12.5cm tall, diameter at the mouth is a little larger than at the foot.

Any ideas at all would be very welcome.

John

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Venetian style wine glass with latticino or soffiati or?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:27:22 AM »
Soffiati is normally reserved for feather light glass that is not internally decorated. The artistry is dedicated to the form of the glass itself. The stem and the style of the zanfirico make me think your goblet is a bit older, say 1930s or earlier. It can be hard to say. Does it have any ash or bubbles that hint it could be older? I don't know who made it. Venetian stemware always baffles me when it comes to attributions.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:33:30 AM »
I looked at some pictures. The latticino is in the style of Salviati. The stem is also a style used by them and Barovier. Of course, styles can be copied. A good place to start research would be Salviati. It would be nice if it was from the early 20th Century. Wish I could say something more definite, but I could not find your stem pictured.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 05:54:19 PM »
Thank you Anita, I will look into that tonight or tomorrow.

There are a few bubbles in the latticino sections and there are also a few very small bits of ash here and there which I did not notice until I looked at the photographs.

John

Offline MuranoArtGlassChandeliers

• Members
  • Italian Decor and Glass Lights website
    • Murano Glass plus Antiques
    • Australia
    • Murano Art Glass Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 08:57:51 PM »
Hi John :thup:

Pink and White Latticino and what a gorgeous piece. Although a stunning goblet, it seems just a little too plain to be Salviati although as TXSilver suggested, when it comes to attributions, this is a very difficult are indeed. 

Dean
Dean
CEO and Owner
Italian Decor Glass Lights
http://www.italiandecor-glasslights.com
salesandsupport@italiandecor-glasslights.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:06:14 PM »
Definitely tricky Dean, I have no experience of this type of glass and have yet to develop an eye to even begin to distinguish one makers work from another.

I would not describe the colour as pink but an orange or brown, more of a brown really, hopefully the following photo with a white background will show this.

No luck in my searching so far and frustrated by my lack of books on Italian glass, will have to do something about that soon.

John

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 03:08:13 PM »
I vote Salviati due to the specific way the gold is applied.

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
I would agree about Salviati. I suppose the piece is pretty old too.
Style, finishing, etc.
As qritten before, of course it can be "inspired" by Salviati . If more contemporary I would say Giuliano Ballarin, due to the complex zanfirico and the "avoglio".

Ciao

Alex

www.artofvenice.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »
Thanks Ivo and Alex.

Having a quick look at images of Giuliano Ballarin's work it seems very precise and exact so an attribution of possibly Salviati 'feels more comfortable' at the present time.

Avoglio is a new term for me and I had to look it up (the section that joins the bowl to the foot). ;D

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand