No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: So who's this by?  (Read 1518 times)

Offline Gowdod

• Members
So who's this by?
« on: August 14, 2011, 08:41:01 PM »
Now who's this by? I bought this today.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260824124058&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_1049wt_932

Has a French look to it, possibly English. Any thoughts from you Paperweight fans?

Kind Regards

Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: So who's this by?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:43 PM »

I was watching that item, and was a bit puzzled by it.  Old English is a strong possibility. I had ruled out French - I could not tie the canes to any particular factory - but was toying with the thought it might just be Belgian.

I have had a couple of weights that were similar, and the canes had similar structure. One looked like a cut down bottle stopper. They both came from sources in the Birmingham area, so on balance I would vote for an English origin, from one of the less well known and as yet unidentified factories.

I assume your paperweight is made of lead glass? What is the base finish like?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Gowdod

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:35 PM »

Alan,

I only got it today, waiting for it to be posted. I need to have a good look at that central cane, the cogs have 8 spokes. How would this be described as a 3 row concentric? I've had my Bob Hall book out and it definately has an early English feel. How about it being a Baccus? That'd be fun. Cheers   Andrew

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »

Hi Andrew

I have posted before (here, I think) that whilst Bob Hall's book is the best reference book that we have for Old English paperweights, the research for it is 10 to 20 years old, and it has a number of significant errors. For example, about 20 of the paperweights in the Bacchus chapter are not Bacchus.  And there is a lot of fairly wild speculation about 'early' and 'late' Bacchus, and a completely mistaken assumption that any weight with a Queen's Head cane is from the Bacchus stable. And the errors about Gillinder working at Bacchus.....

But if you were planning to sell a lot of Old English weights, perhaps you might talk up the Bacchus connections, with attributions such as 'early Bacchus', 'later Bacchus' and 'possibly unique Bacchus'......?

I agree with you about the 'Old English feel' of your weight, but that is what I first felt when I bought the footed weight below a few years back (which Bob suggested was 'later Bacchus'). Now I suspect it is Belgian.

Alan

Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand