No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: glass vase, is this a soda vase? - ID = Ronald Stennett-Willson  (Read 1585 times)

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Hi All,

I was wondering about a vase I just purchased today, I bought it thinking that I had seen it before and with the base having a polished pontil it made me think of Whitefriars Glass. I have looked on the Whitefriars glass website and it has a similarity to a soda vase but the neck of mine seems longer and the colour seems wrong. The vase is 7" high and the neck is approx 2" across. The glass itself is a pale, pale blue with, at first I thought tiny bubbles, but on closer inspection it could be a white powder throughout? The surface of the vase is smooth on the outside and slightly bumpy on the inside. It has a good weight to it, not much ware to the base.
I haven't posted it on the WF site as I know there are a good few WF experts that visit this site and if its not WF then maybe it might catch the eye of someone who has a similar vase or knows where it may have come from.

Thanks in advance,
David  :sc:

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Re: Whitefriars glass vase, is this a soda vase?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:34 PM »
Hi All,

I have just found a section on the WF website called mistaken identities and it turns out its a design by Ronald Stennett Wilson for Kings Lynn glass, so not Whitefriars. Could anyone give me any info on the age of the vase, the link on WF takes you to the RSW web site but there is no info on this particular shape.

Thanks, David :sc:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Whitefriars glass vase, is this a soda vase?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 02:16:56 PM »
According to Hajdamach, this angular design was a favourite of RSW and it was used throughout his career. Variations were being made in 1959 for Lemington Glass, later by Kings Lynne and then Wedgwood.

Yours looks like it is from the 'Rustic' range, the internal texture is a result of rolling the hot glass in silver sand. So probably Kings Lynne or Wedgwood and 1967 or later.

John

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
Re: glass vase, is this a soda vase? - ID = Ronald Stennett-Willson
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
Thanks very much John for the information, how long from 1967 would this design have run for as my vase seems to have very little wear, thanks again
Cheers, David :sc:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:38:49 PM »
That bit is trickier, no idea how long Wedgwood made that range for.

John

Offline davidfish1212

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »
Thanks John for all your help.

David  :sc:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum