No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech but with questions  (Read 2154 times)

Offline poppyparker

• Members
Czech but with questions
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:29:41 AM »
Hello all!

I found this lovely vase today and although I know it's Czech and "maybe" by Frantisek Peceny (because the design incorporates many of the elements from the other one that I have on here that was confirmed by Anik -  the swirls, frosted parts the type of ribs that separate the swirls), I have a couple of questions because of its large size.

I read here, after searching for Hermanova that due to it being so big, it would have possibly been made at a different factory than Hermanova itself and I wonder if anyone can shed any light?

It's 25cm tall and 15cm at the widest part of the rim.

AND (gloat) it was a STEAL!

Many thanks !  :sun:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: Czech but with questions
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:45:27 AM »
Your vase was designed by Frantisek Peceny, pattern number 19870/25 for Hermanova.  It came in two sizes (20cm and 25cm).  I don't see why it would have been made at another factory -- I think I might have missed the thread you are referring to, but perhaps someone more knowledgable will be able to answer your question.

By the way, your vase appears in the CGR for the first time in the 1957/6 edition.   :hi:

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:00:45 AM »
Golly Anik - I am officially blown away!  I trawled through the antiques Czech site and on here earlier and Google and couldn't find anything. 

Thank you so much. 

I just won a candlewax yesterday.  I am sooo in love with Czech glass. :kissy:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 05:28:15 AM »
Tee hee...  I'm also ssssoooooo in love with Czech glass. ;D

The best reference sites for Czech glass of all types would include Jindrich Parik's "Ceskoslovenske Sklo" where you can peruse the CGR, factory catalogues, get information about designers, glassworks, etc.  It's my favorite site: http://www.cs-sklo.cz/

For a quick and easy look into Czech pressed glass items, see  http://sklo-union-glass.com/ .  It's got great photographs which can help you identify your glass, plus Frank has taken the time to provide references. 

Emil has also got a blog about Czech glass with wonderful examples of Czech items in his album:  http://www.bohemiaglas.se/page1.html     Then, of course, there are all the other members' albums which may also offer IDs, or at least something to drool over. :)

When it comes to literature, I would strongly recommend Marcus Newhall's "Sklo Union:  Art Before Industry" (see the marketplace -- the book is not longer readily available in bookshops, but our Anne has got copies available on ebay).  Not only is it an attractive book, but Marcus Newhall offers a cd database with sklo union catalogues not available elsewhere.  It's a must have if you're into Czech pressed glass.

I wish you happy collecting!  And please feel free to show off your finds, even if you know what they are. ;D

Offline poppyparker

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:55:51 AM »
Thank you so much - you are very kind and also very knowledgeable.  I will certainly order Marcus' book and bookmark the sites for future reference. 

Big hugs

Poppy  :hi:

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 09:55:18 AM »
Poppy, I am kind  ;D but not 'knowledgable' -- I've just got pretty good notes.  :kissy:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand