No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Info Request Peter Goss Australian Studio Glass Artist  (Read 26013 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Info Request Peter Goss Australian Studio Glass Artist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:59:46 AM »
Just bought a lovely vase - much larger than my original - c.15cms tall and 13cms across.  Thought you might like to see the photos.  I assume the PSG 1112 on the markings means Paraison Studio Glass item #1112.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 01:51:26 PM »
Ross, that's a stunning piece, I can see why you purchased it. I presume it would date from some time in the mid 80's..?

I came across this AUSGLASS newsletter from 1982 on the web the other day, I've attached a link below, the letter is in PDF format. It mentions briefly Peter Goss and also the workshop grant Goss received from the Crafts Board of the Australia Council, which was used to develop the Paraison Glass Studio in around 1981. 

Doesn't contain a tremendous amount of detail, however very interesting to read nevertheless.

http://eprints.utas.edu.au/7081/6/Ausglas_7.pdf

Greg
 :)

Offline Backyardhabitat

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
Hi I have a Peter goss small vase dated Peter Goss 71 with a scroll under his name found being used for a pen holder, can you help with any information and value, no chips or damage and the colour a little more vibrant than picture 3inches high thanks

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 01:39:50 AM »
Hi Backyardhabitat and welcome. That is a nice Peter Goss piece, showing clearly the influence of Sam Herman. The scroll under the name is common on his earlier pieces. See the fourth photo in reply #10 by Ross. The piece from 1977 in the second photo of my Reply #5 also has the same scroll under the signature.

The date on yours will not be 1971 because that is before Peter Goss started in glass. At that time he was still serving with the Royal Marines. It could well be 1977 or 1981, and I think the former is more likely. The marking in your photo is too indistinct on the screen to be sure. If it is 1977 it will be a more desirable piece, because it will have been made at the Jam Factory in Adelaide under the direct influence of Sam Herman.

Value? Whatever someone will pay for it. It is small but a nice illustration of its context. At auction, maybe up to $100 in Australia, less elsewhere.

Thank you for sharing. Any chance of clearer photos?

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Backyardhabitat

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 02:49:22 AM »
Dear Trevor
thanks for the fast reply i have taken a new picture if the bottom but still looks like 71 to me
thanks
Kim

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »
A recent purchase to accompany my previous piece of Peter Goss.  This one i gather was blown at the Paraison Glass Studio and is marked to the base PSG along with 12 84/81. I was wondering if 81 would refer to the year of production as this would tie in with the opening of the Paraison Glass Studio that year.

Measures approximately 5.5 inches tall.

Enjoy.
 :)

Offline brewster

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 12:37:30 AM »
Greg- I've just noticed this, but your blue vase in Reply #15 is dated 1987, not 1981. Every instance I can find of Peter Goss writing the numeral 1 is a single downstroke without any extra stroke at the top. Compare the first numeral in the serial number after PSG in your picture 3, where it says PSG 1284/87 for 1987.

The other indicator is the design itself, which more closely resembles what Peter Goss was doing in 1986-90 than anything much earlier. Compare your other item from 1989 in Replies #4 and $7 and the piece in the fourth photo of my Reply #5 which is also from 1989.

I still can't clearly read the date on Kim's piece in Replies #12 and #14, but it looks like 79 to me.

Trevor
See my blog on Australian studio glass. There is now a Facebook page with Australian glass news.
The Glass Puzzles page is back on Facebook. Log in to leave a comment.

Offline Backyardhabitat

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 12:57:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply, after much looking in lots of different lights, i too think the date is 79 not 71,
you all seem so passionate about this glass i just stumbled upon this piece, so i am going to sell this
i noticed the link to eBay, would you recommend this method of sale? or do you have a for sale page linked to the forum?
thanks
Kim

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 12:27:06 PM »
Many thanks for taking a look Trevor and your thoughts on the date.

The similarities with the other pieces of Goss blown in 89 you refer to are clearly apparent. So both pieces I have date to 89, no wonder they seem to sit so well next to each other!

Kim - If you are thinking of selling your piece, I would suggest listing it on ebay and then posting a link to the sale in the 'Glass Market Place' section of the GMB.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline Travelguy

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Aussie Glass
    • Australia
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 07:45:11 AM »
Hi all,
Been looking again at the A M Fox 1982 piece.  Makes sense to me, as it is about the time that Alan was in partnership with Gene Poult, and the piece has much of Gene's characteristic style about it.  Gene no longer with us, but Alan may be able to answer ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand