No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Pieces ID needed IDs=a. Geo.Davidson 242 | b. Stourbridge  (Read 4272 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Hi

Opalescent Pieces ID needed

a) 3.75” high in a lovely blue with six petal form foot, pinched with three handles – the top half fades into a milky opalescence.
http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluesalts6bi.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bluesaltsb2ld.jpg

b) 4” high and Vaseline glass I think, with petal form foot and a lovely looped stem, the bowl is 5” diameter and has milky blue opalescence.

Hope I can get an ID (maker/date) – I paid £50.00 each for a & b – I wanted to buy a couple of nice pieces as I have never dabbled in this type of glass before.

I have some ideas of course, and seen similar thing on GMB but still need assurance

Thanks

Adam
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 01:38:42 AM »
Adam, your blue piece is a George Davidson 242 basket in Blue Pearline. It's lovely! I have the same basket in clear glass and it looks very dowdy in comparison!  Chris Stewart's book on Davidson has pics and info about these.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 01:45:44 AM »
Hi

Thanks for ID Anne

It is actually a pair - sold as a pair - so have I got two separate pieces here :)
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 01:59:08 AM »
Yes, you have two GD 242 baskets then. Even better! :) As far as I know they were sold individually - Chris would be able to tell you if I'm wrong.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 02:38:45 AM »
Thanks Anne

Found my loop stemmed dish Item

The site does not give a name or date aghhhhhh vaselineglass.org

Adam P

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 10:48:22 AM »
Adam P — your lovely tazza with a loop, with added acid-etched floral decoration, is illustrated in Hajdamach, British Glass 1800–1914.   Here the author attributes it to Stourbridge, late 19th century.   Note that throughout the book Walsh is included in this general classification.

Hajdamach describes it as yellow opalescent, uncapitalised, although I would prefer the more contemporary "Canary Opalescent", a term that was unambiguous on both sides of the Atlantic.

Note that there are no features of your tazza that help narrow down this attribution at present.   They all used 12-rib dip moulds (a pity it wasn't 18-rib), and the loop, once introduced, was widely copied.   A detailed study of crimped leaf-like patterns might help, but I fear that the outcome could be the conclusion that they all bought their crimps from the same crimp salesman, whose lion's head prunt crimps seem to have been sold far and wide, from Gateshead to Murano.   Nor does the glass itself help a great deal; they all made Canary Opalescent — the knowledge was probably spread quickly by mineral salesmen.    Unless an example turns up in a readily identifiable glass, like Walsh Mother-of-Pearl or Webb Alexandrite, the best chance for attribution is the acid-etched floral pattern applied to the example illustrated in the book, but it is difficult to pick out any detail.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:03:17 PM »
The vaseline comport or tazza is a beautiful piece!
In my books on Victorian glass, this type of looped stem & leaf foot is always identified as being of Stourbridge origin.
As we know, there were many glass factories in the Stourbridge area!
I think it could be by Thomas Webb & Sons, though.
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 12:17:59 PM »
Those leafy feet could be Stuart or Richardsons  :shock:   On the other hand, it could be Webb, Walsh, or Stevens & Williams!   :roll:

I think all you can say with certainty is that it is one of the Stourbridge glasshouses, from the end of the 19thC.   :D

And I really covet it  :twisted:  :wink:  :lol:
Leni

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 12:24:49 PM »
You're right, Leni, it could be any one of those firms.
May I also complement you on your excellent taste! :D
Gotta LOVE that late Victorian glass, it's choice! :D
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 01:39:41 PM »
Thanks everyone

I am going back to my 1880s - 1900s roots a bit here. I used to have a large collection of mostly unidentified objects, I just bought what I liked.

I sold stuff like this without knowing what it was, I think it's Davidson

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have given me so much to think about (ref original post). One thing I feel sure about is - it is British and seems to be of Stourbridge origin. I will keep on researching as I would love to get a factory.

Amazing how that other website has an identical piece, I may email and ask that particular collector what he/she thinks, although they (the site) seem to attribute the piece to W. H., B & J Richardson of Stourbridge.

BTW anyone on that board I linked to - http://www.vaselineglass.org/factory.html

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand