No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Walsh Walsh penholder  (Read 2970 times)

Offline RAY

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« on: February 15, 2006, 10:48:05 PM »
it measures 7" high and is a glass pen holder, the middle section does glow under UV light and so does one dog , the rider , horse and the other dog don't glow, the animals and the rider just look like Bimini, the base of the stem is panel cut and the base is star cut, the glass pen has a very tight  and fine latticino twist of pink and white , i have an other one nearly the same but with bird's

Mod: The picture links no longer work. If you own the piece in question and you have images, please contact any of the moderators as we'd like to restore the pictures to the thread.
cheers Ray

Offline chuggy

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
The work in the pen looks very similar to some of the Bimini snakes, also the dress of the rider doesn't look Italian to me.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline RAY

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 12:36:13 PM »
hi Paul

they really look like Bimini, but the bird one's look completely different more Italian
cheers Ray

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 03:20:37 PM »
It's only Bimini if it is in the Neuwirth book and somehow I do not think it is. Alternative is Lauscha or Czech, but much more likely it is Nevers. The glass pen is an object frequently found in France, the style of dress, the hounds and the elaborate nature of the holder -to me - all suggest France.  Probably end of the 18th century, and very pricey because complete.
Although you're right about the birds having a Murano look...

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 07:01:30 PM »
My question is why is he riding side saddle? Is that a clue?

Offline BJB

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 09:36:23 PM »
Hi Ray,

Could the first one be a Stourbridge "frigger", like these ones

http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib2bb.htm

and there is one in Millers Glass Buyers Guide Book page 272 and this just has the hounds, and is priced between £300-£350.

Barbara

( taken comma away  :oops: )

Offline RAY

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 03:21:29 PM »
just an update, i took some photo's of the bird's wings and sent them to Roy Brown the cane expert, he's match the cane's and they are 100% Walsh Walsh
cheers Ray

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 03:01:14 PM »
I'll keep an open mind about these items ...

I can see why Ivo wondered about Nevers being a possibility for the side-saddle gentleman and hounds, but I always thought that Nevers pieces were very small, and to have a second piece in similar style but with rather different decorative elements (garish, in my view) suggests Nevers is not right.

I have great respect for Roy Brown's cane analysis. But was it just the canes that you showed him Ray, or did you show the full item as well? If it was just the canes, then I can understand how a "positive" Id could be given. But with paperweights in general, very similar canes can be found in different maker's weights and it needs a full comparison of all features of the item to be absolutely sure.

In Eric Reynolds book The Glass of John Walsh-Walsh 1850-1951 I have not yet found anything to indicate that Walsh made this sort of item. But perhaps they did and maybe it's mentioned in the book somewhere.

My reaction (rather than even a guess), based mainly on those overly-colourful birds is that they are Murano.

But if it does turn out that they are Walsh, then so be it, and well done to all involved.
KevinH

Offline RAY

• Members
Walsh Walsh penholder
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »
Kev, i showed Roy the whole item and close ups of the cane's in the wings,
cheers Ray

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum