No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175072 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
since most of my pieces are either in the loft, sheds or hidden somewhere in cabinets - I have to get them out for the David Bailey bit  -  and then the background lets me down  -  nowhere near as interesting as other people's.      Time was I had buckets full of water jugs, but they take up a lot of space, so slowly but surely they have been given the elbow, leaving just the few that you see.    I know most of the makes (or thought I did).......couple of W/Fs. (plus the W/Fs. for Asprey??) Jacobean, Borske, Pearline, Libochovice, and possibly even Moser/Kralik  -   and have probably now forgotten some.   Apart from the Pearline, they were all from boot sales, so not great outlay, and if you wanted a colourful display they make a great show.   Date wise, I think the deep green one is possibly late C19 with the W/Fs. ruby ice jug the most recent.    If I'm wrong there, please tell me.         And yes, there is one design twice  -  it's the only time I've bought the same pattern twice, and it was today!!!!  :pb:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
I meant to say...................No. 1 on row three  -  the clear piece with the swags.............anyone recognize the design please????

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
A relative maybe?

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
 :cry: :cry: Why does it seem that I never think of doing the obvious....those jugs look stunning in groups Paul. Thanks for sharing. :hi: cheers steph.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Paul they are lovely and the colours and shapes look great grouped together.  I love the crackle one obviously  :mrgreen:
m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
thanks Keith  -  and you may well be correct.         My jug has a substantial and very good quality ground/polished out pontil mark, and the piece has one of those 'rings' to die for.      Unfortunately, completely unmarked.       But bothers me not a little that there is very little wear on the underside of the foot - and I do so like to see reasonable wear if I'm going to say that something is at least half a century old, but always exceptions to the rule of course. :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
A very nice display Paul....is the 'brandy glass' one Scandinavian??

Keith does that vase have an inscription on the base at about 5 o clock in the photo??  If so, what does it say please.

Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
rosie  -  assume you mean the ice decanter (the final pic. on row 4)  -  and the answer is, no............this is the piece attributed to W/Fs. manufacture, and carries the word 'Asprey' as an acid back stamp.     My thanks to jp for this attribution/provenance, some time earlier last year I believe.

Believe this piece that Keith has shown is his 'Celery' that he posted some few days ago. and the writing that can be seen on the foot is the word Celery............am I correct Keith??

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Thanks for that info Paul....howinteresting...an ice decanter...I will have to look out for one of those.

Now I know why I had Déjà vu about it.....I have a picture memory you see, so once I have seen something, I can carry the colour and shape in my head for ever....my 'remembery' is starting to get a bit full now though. Not so, my forgettery!
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
sorry, think our posts have crossed, but do read this one which corrects my errors..............

"just for the record, two small corrections to technical errors on my part.      This bird standing on one foot is not, of course, a decanter whatsoever  -  it's simply another water jug. :pb:      Like the W/Fs. ruby example, the lip does, however, prevent the ice cubes rushing out and bathing you in whatever drink you did have in your glass.
Correctly, an ice decanter/carafe  -  is a piece which has a self-contained tube-like housing which projects into the body of the decanter, and into which you put ice.    This method of using the ice keeps it completely separate from the main liquid that is being drunk  -  but does keep it cold for when needed.    The housing for the ice is protected often, by means of a cork 'bung'  -  and on posh examples this may be capped with silver/plate".

hope this clarifies things for you.      I can only think that these Asprey pieces are fairly uncommon  -  I don't recall seeing another. :)   jp commented that he thinks they are an investment for the future. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand