No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175091 times)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Thanks Paul.....a jug by any other name....as they say, and who would want their drink slopped into their lap, or have their wine cooled and diluted at the same time?  I have seen the decanters you have described, and so I know exactly what you mean.

Did you see the picture I put on this thread earlier of my 'collection' of jugs?  There are a couple of them I would love to know more about....want to help?

Also, perhaps you can throw some light on a pattern of pressed glass we had in the 50's in E. Africa.  It was standard issue to the Overseas Food Corporation (Groundnut Scheme). The pattern was like an upturned curved sided triangle with small diamond patterning within the triangle and the remainder of the body of the jug was stippled to give a frosted appearance. I had a feeling it might have had a Scandi sounding name, albeit probably a British glass item. Does that help? :sun:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
at work just now, so can' really comment in depth rosie.          ID's for jugs can be very difficult, especially as most are unmarked  -  although if you have a Rd. No. then you're half way there, or perhaps an iconic shape or colour can help.        I've seen hundreds on my travels, and brought many home, only to get nowhere with them, and eventually they've been given away.
I probably did see your 'jugs', but have forgotten which page  -  are you able to refresh my memory  -  although to be honest, don't hold out too much hope of attribution: I think that with glass it's often better if you have a philosophy of low expectation  .....it saves too much disappointment :)    But will look again.
Re E. Africa.......I cud be wrong completely, but your description of the relief pattern sounds vaguely like the 'pineapple/fir cone/scale' design - possibly - which we have had here previously  -  and on that occasion I think the manufacturer was Canning Town.    Have a look at the link http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,37092.msg202577.html#msg202577   -  but its only a shot in the dark.        Date wise, an outfit like Canning Town would have been manufacturing at about the right time, and their proximity to London might have made them a contender. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Sorry Paul,  didn't mean to bother you at work.....

When you have time:-
I have just found one of the jugs on eBay.....I can't believe how like my description it is, bearing in mind I haven't seen one since I was about 12 years old.
Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-glass-water-jug-/140525213205?pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item20b7f49615

It doesn't give the name, but looking at it, I think it might be a bit cheap and nasty.... :cry:
I might get it for nostalgia's sake!
Rosie.

Offline keith

• Members
Spot on Paul,just posted it on WF's site,waiting for a reply ;D

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Ah, my Peill & Putzler display is up in time before the thread dies a natural death :)

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline rosieposie

• Members
Oh Astrid, they are so deliciously cool looking.....what beautiful displays you have, and these are no exception. Thank you once again for sharing.... :kissy:
Rosie.
Rosie.

Offline meegs

• Members
Overcast grey and raining here, so I've gone for the bright colours this week.
Cheers
Meegs

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Astrid, I really do like your Peill & Putzler display -- so many attractive vases.  Lovely!

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
I really love Peill & Putzler vase designs, especially the ones from the 60s-70s, but even the later ones strike a chord. I've already made up my mind this year to make P&P one of my specialized areas of glass collecting, spending a little more than usual to pick up the better ones.

I'm especially happy with the relatively newly acquired textured vase on the right of the middle picture (I suspect it's by Horst Tüselmann). No picture manages to do it justice (making it a very positive surpise when it arrived, as I hadn't seen it 'live'). It's a thickwalled vase, and the pattern is made by very deep etching (I think), making little canyons deep in the surface giving it it's pattern effect. It's an extremely tactile piece. When I just bought it, every time I walked past it, I had to 'caress' it to feel the tectile structure of it. I'm sooo happy with that one!  :smg:

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
I'm also tactile, so I know what you mean about caressing your glass, Astrid.  :)

I love the vases in your first picture -- the third and second from the right.  Then again, I think all your P&P vases are wonderful (with the exception of the white and clear 'swirly' one in the first photo -- too delicate-looking for my taste.)  Unfortunately, I still have a very hard time recognizing German glass, regardless of the glassworks, so my collection is extremely limited. 

Once again, fantastic collection!  :hi:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand