No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: (Themed) glass displays - show me yours, I'll show you mine... part 2...  (Read 175087 times)

Offline steph

• Members
    • Stephs glass
I think James and PX have shown again just how dramatic a 'single style' in different colour ways can be.  I still have the image of those satin Moretti long neck vases prodding me to start a dedicated search>>>>  :o but with umpteen boxes of glass stashed away in the loft I'm resisting temptation. :cry:

Astrid, so cool.... I love your June display - I've not collected much clear crystal - cut or engraved,  but thanks for showing your inspiring display.  cheers steph.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
px I absolutely LOVE the shapes and colours - the purples and blues and the final photo...just fab!!!!
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Did some re-arranging and thought I would show the new displays......  units are now both on the same wall in the end of the living room...... 

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Love all the colours Craig  :hiclp:  the uranium Murano pieces look fantastic and you just have an amazing collection of beautiful glass.  
Jim I love those Whitefriars vases all together as well - very impactful.

I find it difficult to find shelves I like to display groups of pieces en masse.  I love the vertical shelves we have - but they aren't condusive to having lots of pieces together and OH is getting more than a little miffed that I haven't sorted out the stuff mostly lying round our dining room at the mo whilst I decide how to rearrange things.
This first pic is mostly Bohemian/Czechoslovakian with  a few interlopers upstairs in our house.
The second is a table in our hall with some Czech pressed pieces.
m

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
I like that use of a corner - 3 or 4 vases together look not too cluttered, very nice!

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
m, what a beautiful, clean and uncluttered look!  I love how your glass is displayed on your vertical shelves -- each piece, with a little 'personal space' can be easily appreciated.  It's easy on the eye.  LOVELY!

Things here have got a little out of hand... my once happy little clusters of glass have become clutters of glass because of lack of space.  It looks a mess which makes me terribly unhappy.  I won't even mention what my unappreciative-of-glass husband thinks of it all...  :spls:  :cry:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Thanks M, I really like your Bohemian group in the vertical shelves.... I also like your art..... I recognize many of the pieces of glass......  I was just commenting to Peggy today as we went through a couple of antique malls in Portland Oregon how I see glass that 2 years ago I would have just thought Czech and unknown, and now I know it to be Welz.... I was lucky  today and bought a really nice piece of Rindskopf in a twisted rib decor...... for not a lot of money.....  Oddly it was the nicest piece of Czech glass in a large case of glass and was priced much lower than all of the other pieces......  and I bought an interesting little striped piece.....  not sure of origin..... very well done though..... The tall piece is just over 10 inches and the striped piece is about 4.5 inches tall.....

We are actually in Eugene Oregon right now as I won a pair of tickets to the Antiques Roadshow and we go tomorrow with 3 different types of art and a carved wood skull  "box" with an ivory snake crawling in and out of it..... One of the few things I own that I really know nothing about.... but it is very odd and unique....... The art is an oil painting and a pair of etchings Peggy bought at an estate sale many years ago that are very unique and very good and we have never been able to identify them.

I am also taking in a portfolio of images I bought years back that are from Morave, published in 1902, and it contains images by several different artists, including 2 Mucha images I have not seen anywhere else....... It still has the original cover that holds the images.   I have tried to research it through the years and the only two links to the portfolio I ever found were one of the Mucha prints for sale, with a description saying that only 35 or so of the portfolios were ever produced, and another example of the Portfolio for sale by a print seller in Europe for several thousand pounds...... and we know how that goes at times....  ::)  One of the Mucha pieces is a little different, as it has an Egyptian Revival Motif to it, unlike any other Mucha piece I am familiar with.....  so we will see if they can tell us anything about our art..... Regardless of outcome I am sure we will have a blast......

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Craig, that's all very exciting!  I hope you get the answers you are looking for, and as an added bonus, I sincerely hope you discover that you've got something 'big'. The portfolio sounds particularly interesting.  Please let us know how the Roadshow went.
 :hi:

P.S.  It is a great feeling to be able to recognize a piece of glass -- one year ago, I was oblivious to makers, designers, etc.  Now, I can walk around the market and spot a Czech piece from a distance.  Of course, I still make plenty of mistakes and sometimes get very confused, but... I'm more clever about glass now than when I first started.  And I trust I'll be even more clever in a year.  ;D

Offline Patricia

• Author
  • Members
    • The Curious History of the Bulb Vase
Graig, your "striped piece" is a bulb vase, made in England around 1885.
It was probably made by Richardson, I have copies of the original drawings here that look very very similar. 
Lucky you!

Patricia
Patricia
► The Curious History of the Bulb Vase ◄
 A new book by Patricia Coccoris

Offline px

• Members
Yes, steph, a single design in different colourways or - a single colour in different designs. Thanks, m. For me it is always also of the overall decorative picture, how they all look together. I may buy a piece for it fits the others I have for colour. Or i may choose not to buy something just because it simply doesn't.

Huh, I may buy three of the same, just because the piece is so odd standing alone.  :)

Craig - rearranging always makes a refreshed feeling and reminds you of how wonderful pieces you have, doesn't it!

m - your vertical shelves are really nice! In a way they make a decorative effect as a whole, and on the other hand if you look closer you really see each piece individually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand